Can someone talk to me about PE GCSE?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Can someone talk to me about PE GCSE?

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I'm sorry but that teacher is mistaken! Our school does not offer PE GCSE for various reasons but does offer A level - it is a very sporty school, however, but I cannot think of any child who is County or above in 3 sports. And they still get A/A* at A level, which is harder than GCSE! And in the school I work in, lots do GCSE PE, and lots get A/A*....and they. Ertainky arent County level or above in 3 sports. Most aren't even in one....Maybe this is indicative of the quality of the teaching of PE at your particular school, and if it is that poor, then it is probably one to avoid!
KCG, it's City of London School the OP's DS is at - to be fair, I doubt that many parents actually choose it for the availability of GCSE PE or the department's interpretation (correct or otherwise) of the spec. The playing fields are a long way off-site, which would possibly put many 'sporty' parents off anyway.

Bazelle, perhaps you could ask the HOD to point you to the section in the specification where the requirement for such a high standard of skill / participation in the chosen sports is detailed?

I have to say, though, it's not the first time I've seen that assertion made on the forum. It did strike me as odd that if that were the case, our DC's schools should list it just as another option, but as none showed any interest in doing it, I didn't investigate any further.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I know 2 people who've got A*and 3 who've got an A (out of a tiny sample) in the last 3 years. Only one of them has even played their sport outside of school; I don't think that can be the reason for grade Bs in the school!
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Bazelle wrote:Just to update on the subject, I did ask DS's PE teacher about GCSE and unless one plays 3 sports at competitive/county level, grades are Bs, not A-A* apparently.
I think possibly there has been some miscommunication here. My understanding is that students do need to perform in competitive matches but there doesn't seem to be any requirement from what I've seen for it to be at county level. Competitive matches could be school matches or a local club.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

I wonder for how long CLSB will continue to offer PE GCSE option. They really didn't seem bothered at parents' evening. Interestingly, Hampton, which was our other choice and which has much better sports facilities on site and overall better sports results does not even offer it. I don't have time to check just now but it would be interesting to find out what are the PE GCSE results in selective boys schools overall, compared to their maths results say.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DD's former school, her year's GCSE results:

Maths - 149 entries - 105 at 9/8/7
PE - 22 entries - A*9/A6/B7
(Some girls in her year competing at County level in various things, but I have no idea how many of those took GCSE PE).

DS2's school:

Maths - 147 entries - 86 at 9/8/7
PE - 17 entries - A*5/A6/B4/C2

Both grammar schools, both regarded as 'sporty' (DS2's has won the Borough Athletics every year 'since Pussy was a cat', as a former colleague used to say :), both schools have represented England internationally more than once).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Among boys independent schools in London that I looked at this morning, St Paul's, Merchant Taylors, Hampton & Dulwich don't even bother with it. Whitgift does, probably because it is one of their strongest subject (97% A*-A).

I think it is nice that CLS still offers it despite lowering their rank in the league tables because of it.
copella

Post by copella »

Bazelle wrote:
Just to update on the subject, I did ask DS's PE teacher about GCSE and unless one plays 3 sports at competitive/county level, grades are Bs, not A-A* apparently. Which is fair enough I suppose. Anyhow, optional choices are made and DS chose French, Spanish, Classical Civ and History.
What a load of rubbish. Is the teacher being paid to put children off? My DS did very well in his PE exam last year and although he plays sport outside of school no way is he at county level. He plays Sunday football in a mixed ability team and played for a local cricket team. Nearly all his friends of similar level and capability got similar A*/A grades.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bazelle wrote:Among boys independent schools in London that I looked at this morning, St Paul's, Merchant Taylors, Hampton & Dulwich don't even bother with it. Whitgift does, probably because it is one of their strongest subject (97% A*-A).

I think it is nice that CLS still offers it despite lowering their rank in the league tables because of it.
They shoukd 'up their game' then!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sounds like they must teach it really badly and don't understand the specification. Feel sorry for the students who choose it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now