Can someone talk to me about PE GCSE?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bazelle

Re: Can someone talk to me about PE GCSE?

Post by Bazelle »

Right, it looks like interesting and possibly fun, but not an easy option. I am still not sure about how time consuming the actual sporting events themselves are and I am a bit concerned that there are only very few boys taking that option at CLS; if the A-A* grades were as numerous proportionally or better than the school average for the other subjects I would be more enthusiastic, but it is quite the opposite TBH. Bringing this bluntly to the PE teacher at parents' evening might not go down very well, but we clearly didn't choose CLS for its sporting reputation neither. meh.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Here is the current spec - no 'real' papers yet as it is first sat in 2018.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gc ... from-2016/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This summer's grade boundaries are on page 16 of this: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/408006-leg ... e-2017.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would ask the question about results ... do they offer A level? If so, what are the results like?
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Bazelle, I don't think the sporting events are time consuming. My daughter will have to show a video of her doing her chosen sports in a competitive and non-competitive situation and there are certain skills they have to show to achieve certain grades. The exam board that my daughter does they have to select 3 sports one individual one team and one other (can be team or individual)
If they already compete in the selected sports I presume it is just a case of recording a couple of games so they can show the required skills.
The PE teachers at school should be able to tell you more or less the grade he would get for the practical element if it is a sport they do at school particularly if he is in the school team.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

thanks both, all very interesting and daunting at the same time this GCSE business, I am not looking forward to this actually, the 11+ seems like a doddle in comparison! To answer your question Guest55, it is not an A level option at CLS.
copella

Post by copella »

My son's school helped them a lot, so he did most of his sport in school. We videoed him refereeing, they did a weekend walking trip with school, he could have used his d of e for that and he plays football outside of school so the extra bits were not at all onorous. He chose not to do it at A level as he had 4 subjects he already wanted to Fajemisin but it was up there with his choices. PE is a great GCSE to take and my son really enjoyed his.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Bazelle wrote:Right, it looks like interesting and possibly fun, but not an easy option. I am still not sure about how time consuming the actual sporting events themselves are and I am a bit concerned that there are only very few boys taking that option at CLS; if the A-A* grades were as numerous proportionally or better than the school average for the other subjects I would be more enthusiastic, but it is quite the opposite TBH. Bringing this bluntly to the PE teacher at parents' evening might not go down very well, but we clearly didn't choose CLS for its sporting reputation neither. meh.
Just to update on the subject, I did ask DS's PE teacher about GCSE and unless one plays 3 sports at competitive/county level, grades are Bs, not A-A* apparently. Which is fair enough I suppose. Anyhow, optional choices are made and DS chose French, Spanish, Classical Civ and History.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

3 sports at County Level for an A? My dd2 did PE GCSE as did many in her year and only a real handful were at County Level for one sport let alone three and there were plenty of As. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:3 sports at County Level for an A? My dd2 did PE GCSE as did many in her year and only a real handful were at County Level for one sport let alone three and there were plenty of As. DG
There isn't anything that I could see in the practical skills assessment grid that indicates that candidates can only meet the standard for the higher grades if they are playing at county level or above. Admittedly, I didn't actually wade through the whole spec, though. Where is that documented?

If nothing else, there may be all kinds of reasons why someone who meets all the skills criteria isn't actually playing at any higher level than a school team or local club.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

Ds did A level PE last year and that certainly wasn't a requirement. He is a talented rugby player, and I would suggest that once you get to GCSE/A level age it's a tall ask to be county level at 3 different sports.

His class did well :wink:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm sorry but that teacher is mistaken! Our school does not offer PE GCSE for various reasons but does offer A level - it is a very sporty school, however, but I cannot think of any child who is County or above in 3 sports. And they still get A/A* at A level, which is harder than GCSE! And in the school I work in, lots do GCSE PE, and lots get A/A*....and they. Ertainky arent County level or above in 3 sports. Most aren't even in one....Maybe this is indicative of the quality of the teaching of PE at your particular school, and if it is that poor, then it is probably one to avoid!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now