Further Maths - to take or not

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lspr

Further Maths - to take or not

Post by lspr »

My DD is in the 2nd set for math and her teacher had asked the top 2 sets to take up further math as an extra for gcse. Not sure is this is difficult, time consuming or not needed. She is not planning to take Math in A levels. Any info on how the subject is and how your DCs found it.
Guest55

Re: Further Maths - to take or not

Post by Guest55 »

I'm not a fan - with the new GCSE I think students are far better served going for grade 8 or 9 than an additional GCSE.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

lspr wrote:She is not planning to take Math in A levels.
Then I wouldn't bother concentrate on achieving the best results in the other subjects.
KB

Post by KB »

+1
There's a danger this is more in the interests of the school and/or department than the individuals.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Further maths is hard for DC who don't love maths. The school may also take your DD out of the GCSE midway through if they feel her result will be not be high enough. (Yes, this happens often.) This could lead to the child feeling like a failure before they've even begun their exams. As the teacher has "asked" rather than "told" the top sets it sounds like you have an option not to take it. If you decide not to, check with other parents in the same maths set if possible, you may well not be the only one.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now