ToadMum

Re: Pen type for GCSE

Post by ToadMum »

This is what it says on a specimen English Language paper on the AQA website:

Instructions
 Answer all questions.

Use black ink or black ball-point pen.

 Fill in the boxes on this page.
 You must answer the questions in the spaces provided.
 Do not write outside the box around each page or on blank pages.
 Do all rough work in this book. Cross through any work you do not want to be marked.
 You must refer to the insert booklet provided.
 You must not use a dictionary.

So, nothing about the ink being the permanent variety, but it would make sense to make sure that whatever one user is, I would have thought?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thanks all really helpful. The rules are actually published by the JCQ (joint council of qualifications) when I double checked. I think I will buy a couple of the Uniball liquid ink for DS to have a go with.

http://www.watfordboys.org/userfiles/fi ... 201718.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As an invigilator, can I pop in and say why JCQ have these rules....gel pens have been known to fade, wash out (when the water bottle spills on them) and also do not scan as well as biro or good old fashioned ink. Fountain pens are only really advisable if your child is used to using them - they can be scratchy, and not smooth, which can be a problem for someone with poor handwriting, and not great for speed writing - that is before they start leaking all over the exam paper etc - biros tend to run more smoothly on the paper, assisting speed, but can be a bit messy. DS2 has terrible writing - in his school they prefer them to use fountain pens or those fibre pens (that seem like ink) but he has actually been asked to use biro as he presses so hard he destroys the nibs, making it even harder to read. We are actually considering applying for him to be allowed to use a laptop in class, so that he can then use it in his exams (although the teachers say there are kids with far worse writing, so maybe we are worrying over nothing!)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I actually bought a couple of gel pens this afternoon, which claim to be light resistant, fade resistant and water resistant. I haven't tried them out yet for 'writing friendliness', though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DS also has poor handwriting to the point that he started using a laptop in class as he couldn't read his own notes. He did it without checking with his schools SENCO and the teachers just let him. During his mocks he spoke to a teacher about using a laptop as he had hurt his hand, but not so it hindered him. They phoned me and after the exams assessed his handwriting. The outcome was it wasn't bad enough to get exam dispensation but he could continue in class with the laptop.

So you might want the laptop to help him but don't get your hopes up.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Laptops are no use in Maths or Science or some other subjects where you need to draw or use symbols but can help in an essay subject. You do need to use one regularly in class and have handwriting assessed.
solimum

Post by solimum »

An exam scribe should be an option available for those whose handwriting is particularly difficult (often there is some physical difficulty which makes writing slow or painful as well as illegible) but this would probably be someone who already has an ECHP and regular use of a scribe and/or laptop/ipad in lessons. (Obviously in the case of a broken wrist just before an exam a scribe can also be employed - but it can be hard for pupils to get used to at such short notice, as it requires a different skill to speak your thoughts). The JCQ rules will insist on any particular non-emergency exam consideration being "the usual way of working" .And yes producing mathematical diagrams / musical notes / scientific formulae etc for someone in an exam without letting one's own knowledge of the correct answer influence the result (!) can be tricky. Plus of course they would lose any SPAG marks (spelling, punctuation and grammar) unless explicitly spelled out
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Thanks for all the advice about the laptop and scribes etc.....can I just draw your attention to my first words..."As an invigilator"....I am a chief invigilator in a local secondary school!! I know the rules and how they are applied, (I've even been both a scribe and an emergency scribe and feel terribly sorry for those who have just broken a hand etc as they are terribly penalised having to work unexpectedly in that way), which is why, in Y10, we are starting to have the conversation with the teachers/HoY to see if they think there is an issue with his writing which would affect an examiner marking his scripts - currently the information back seems to be that they do not see an issue as his writing has not been flagged up to them as being terrible...but they are going to take another look and feedback to us - at that point we can then speak to the exams officer if necessary. Sorry Op for having your thread hijacked!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Thanks for all the advice about the laptop and scribes etc.....can I just draw your attention to my first words..."As an invigilator"....I am a chief invigilator in a local secondary school!!
I think they were only trying to be helpful KCG :oops:
solimum

Post by solimum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:...can I just draw your attention to my first words..."As an invigilator"....I am a chief invigilator in a local secondary school!! I know the rules and how they are applied,
Whoops sorry I missed that too - shouldn't post late at night! But others reading this thread may not be aware of the rules in detail. I'm currently working as an LSA in a secondary school and the exam considerations are an important part of our role throughout the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now