How are GCSE exam timetable clashes dealt with?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: How are GCSE exam timetable clashes dealt with?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It sounds to me like mystery is considering her child taking an additional GCSE/GCSEs out of school? These might clash, if they are unusual ones - for example, I have had Danish/Polish/Turkish exams that clash with other more usual GCSEs. However, the school exams officer would know about the clashes as the child's exam number would have to be the same and the school (exam centre) would be the same. They are the ones who sort the clashes - it is not up to the parents and is actually nothing to do with the parent.
mystery

Post by mystery »

All useful thank you everyone -- no it's not that -- it's the kind of thing like total length to be done in a day and at one stretch and length of breaks that could be of importance. Need to have a feel for that in order to know whether to set some other things in motion or not if it looks like it could be a problem. So once I've read the rules I'll know whether to just forget about it or get my thinking cap on.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

A lot of stuff is in the JCQ yellow book - it's the bible as far as exams officers/invigilators are concerned. Might be worth looking at that.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

mystery - you need to be less 'mysterious'. If you have got a specific question and you don't want to post it here then PM KSG or me. If you are thinking of special arrangements like rest breaks, small room arrangements or addditional time then things need to be put in place now.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you. Good plan.
doodles

Post by doodles »

mystery wrote:All useful thank you everyone -- no it's not that -- it's the kind of thing like total length to be done in a day and at one stretch and length of breaks that could be of importance. Need to have a feel for that in order to know whether to set some other things in motion or not if it looks like it could be a problem. So once I've read the rules I'll know whether to just forget about it or get my thinking cap on.

If after you've read the rules, you think your dc may need some assistance, breaks, extra time etc I would urge you to contact the school asap. When applying for extra time for ds1 we had to provide quite a lot of information including letters from his optician / consultant and also prove that this was his normal way of working. The exams officer will need to show that DC has needed to work in this way over a period - believe me, ds1's needs were fairly straightforward and easy to understand but required us to jump through several hoops :(

Edited : sorry crossed with above but do pm me if I can help.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

doodles and Guest are right - arrangements have to be shown to be the normal way of working - not just shoehorned in right before the exams. Those are left for those who have had a sudden emergency (such as breaking their hand etc) just before the exams.

Also, if your daughter needs things like a scribe, then she will also need to get used to that way of working - it is not easy spelling out every word and punctuation as you lose time/train of thought.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you yes -- that's what I was thinking as getting through medical processes etc is not fast.

I'll get reading those rules and contact G55 and KCG when I've got some uninterrupted time. Thanks again.
doodles

Post by doodles »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Also, if your daughter needs things like a scribe, then she will also need to get used to that way of working - it is not easy spelling out every word and punctuation as you lose time/train of thought.
KCG is right. A different way of working may be hugely beneficial in the long run but can take some getting used to and be quite distracting at the outset. DS found that a combination of things worked really well for him but took some getting used to, he also didn't need all that he was offered but needed permission for other things instead - in his case this was a magnifying bar. Extra time can also be quite tiring.

Good luck, it can seem a long journey but is worth it.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now