How to support when ds is too compacent

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DC17C

Re: How to support when ds is too compacent

Post by DC17C »

solimum wrote:I suspect DS is a teenage boy and therefore knows everything and is impervious to nagging.

Either:

he will get a nasty shock in the first actual GCSEs and start working at the last minute, or

he will sail through them and get a nasty shock when he starts A Levels and suddenly finds he has to think/work or:

he will sail through 6th form and get a nasty shock when he doesn't get into Oxford or;

he will sail into Oxford and get a nasty shock when he arrives and everyone else seems to be cleverer than him or;

he will scrape into another university despite having not worked desperately hard at A level and then suddenly find himself with a ferociously hard-working girlfriend who miraculously gets him to start making and effort - and finally he starts to enjoy working; or

he is the next Stephen Hawking and will not really have to struggle until he starts looking at the fundamental structure of the universe

:D :D :D

Edited: sorry to be a bit flippant. (I have had sons who fitted into some of my scenarios!) But there does come a point when DC need to start taking responsibility for their own learning. For some it comes sooner than others, but despite our fears and the teachers' dire warnings, there is usually a way to catch up again , so try not to let your own anxieties become too overwhelming
I had to laugh at this and agree...ds just did some extra mocks and didn’t do brilliantly in them ...I just have to hope the experience might just nudge him into doing a bit of work...but me nagging won’t do anything...somehow the motivation has to come from them...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now