The Final Push - how's it going for your dc (and you) ?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

buzzybee

Re: The Final Push - how's it going for your dc (and you) ?

Post by buzzybee »

I messaged dd to ask how French was and she replied 'average'. Most helpful!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD was supposed to be doing some maths this afternoon but has somehow ended up in the kitchen making a lemon drizzle cake for FIL as it is his birthday tomorrow.

Easily distracted. :roll: she does make very good cakes though.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

stroudydad wrote:
KS10 wrote:AQA combined science Trilogy Chemistry, stroudydad

Love that name - it's like an action film...

Thats what DD is doing/done also.
I found the term 'Trilogy' confusing. I kept asking OH if he was sure she was doing Trilogy as she wasn't doing Triple Science.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Finally, a good day for DD. And after all my moaning, she was the model student last night too. Not one cross word was exchanged during French revision. Please, please let it be a stress-free weekend when we revise Lit.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

DC and some friends had lunch party in Kingston after today's paper. Seems there would be no revision this evening as he has declared himself very tired.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tinkers wrote:DD was supposed to be doing some maths this afternoon but has somehow ended up in the kitchen making a lemon drizzle cake for FIL as it is his birthday tomorrow.

Easily distracted. :roll: she does make very good cakes though.
Cooking is a very good way of revising lots of maths :lol:
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

AQA do three different specifications. Individual sciences (called Chem, Bio and Physics). 6 papers in all. Can get 3 GCSEs one each, but fail any of subjects and still get the others. Trilogy (Chem, Bio, Physics) 6 papers in all. End up with 2 GCSEs. Different papers to individual science papers. Grade achieved by taking the total of all six papers and putting it against a 17 grade scale which determines their two number grade e.g.. 8-7 etc. You will never see a 8-6 for example. The lowest grade they can get on a higher paper is 4-3. Below that is U. Synergy (covers Chem, Physics and Bio but papers test mixture) 4 papers in all. End up with 2 GCSEs . Same grading principle as Trilogy.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

DD having wobble about Physics. Did a paper this afternoon which didn’t go to well. This is tougher than I thought it would be - watching them suffer! :(
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

Dd found chemistry question ok and just waffled about Chadwick. Too tired to revise much today, very quick look at physics - beyond me - and geography. Said most of the weekend will be spent learning quotes for English. She looks much better after a relaxing day, reading geography to me in the garden for an hour. I can't help thinking this would have been easier if she'd revised more for her mocks. Feel I'm ticking days/exams off the calendar!
piggys

Post by piggys »

I must say it's really nice to be able to share all these thoughts and observations.

Dd will have a bit of a lie-in this morning. She tinkered around with a Romeo and Juliet essay yesterday evening but her heart wasn't really in it - too tired I think. I'm hoping she will have a bit of a break today and play some piano, watch a bit of the Royal Wedding.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now