The Final Push - how's it going for your dc (and you) ?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: The Final Push - how's it going for your dc (and you) ?

Post by ToadMum »

Reading Mum wrote:After a good 'post exam' chat with DD last night she has revealed that her decision to not be stressed didn't entirely work and she resorted to some pretty OCD (her term) behaviour. Lots of things in 3s and 5s - like same breakfast cereal with exactly 5 raspberries and 5 blueberries on top, a grid of stuff on her floor with all the shoes facing the same way instead of the previous heap, exactly 5 pumps of soap to wash hands, front door tested 3 times on exit to make sure it was shut properly.
I am a bit shocked and hope it was a temporary coping mechanism that she won't need to carry on. I guess it was a case of controlling what she could.
She is having a lie in and lazy day today - well deserved.
I may drag her to Aldi later to choose some different cereal (and buy more hand soap as she has used up every dispenser without me registering).

Glad it is over bar the wait for results
Not wishing at all to 'dis' your concerns about your DD's coping mechanism, but I would be all too happy for our DD to find a compelling need to have all her shoes in the same place, let alone facing in the same direction. Ditto the checking of the front door - in her case, checking that she has the keys on her to double lock the door in the first place, before she goes out, would be a start :roll: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

we had a dog escape incident once when she didn't quite shut the door so that has been part of routine for a while. It is the having to do it exactly 3 times bit that was concerning.

The change from a heap to an ordered layout was a positive move in my mind - I just didn't know the reason for it.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

At least it's been acknowledged - I'm sure it's a consequence of the exam period and now it's over it will cease. A friend of ours developed a similar behaviour pattern which we didn't know about until it had got quite serious. She started off with the multiple-check of the front door on her way out (she lived alone) and months later she was occasionally turning up late for work. Why? She'd progressed from triple-checking the door to then getting a hundred yards down the road and going back to check it again. At its worst, she was turning round 15 minutes into her walk to work to go back and check the door again. I felt bad when I found out how bad it had got because I'd joked about the early stages of it with her when the triple-checking started. She had another behaviour where she wouldn't start cooking until the clock on the oven or microwave was on a certain number pattern: 6.06pm, 7.07pm, 8.08pm, etc. Friends rallied round and helped her through it but it got quite debilitating because it wasn't dealt with early. It was in response to a particular period of anxiety for her so it shows how easily it can happen.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Our plan was for DS to work with his dad 2 days a week cutting grass.

Slight problem with that - hayfever!

In control of it whilst in his room revising, but steps outside for the first time in weeks and his eyes and nose started running!!

So now holed up in a little room (feels like a sauna inside) playing his PS4, coming out to eat and watch football!!

Anyone know where we can buy a face mask?!? :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

nervousmom wrote:Anyone know where we can buy a face mask?!? :lol:
DH has bought himself some this year as the pollen has been so bad. Not attractive but effective for using when cutting the lawn.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

nervousmom wrote:Our plan was for DS to work with his dad 2 days a week cutting grass.

Slight problem with that - hayfever!

In control of it whilst in his room revising, but steps outside for the first time in weeks and his eyes and nose started running!!

So now holed up in a little room (feels like a sauna inside) playing his PS4, coming out to eat and watch football!!

Anyone know where we can buy a face mask?!? :lol:
Get yourself to the local arco... (other stores are available). What you need is a half face mask with a P3 filter:-)
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

What's an Arco store? I'm not sure we have any of those round here!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

nervousmom wrote:What's an Arco store? I'm not sure we have any of those round here!

https://www.arco.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hera

Post by Hera »

Final exam finished at 3.30 yesterday and today he set of fairly early with a large bag of snacks to go to a friends to play D&D all day. The challenge over the summer is going to be to get him out into the fresh air. Week's work experience next week, then a sixth form induction at his school and the holiday really starts.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DD has 3 induction days and a last school assembly this coming week - so all rather busy.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now