Shall we compile a sticky on useful GCSE materials etc?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Shall we compile a sticky on useful GCSE materials etc?

Post by mystery »

Thought it might be useful if we could all contribute useful sources of GCSE materials which link well with particular course specifications? Maybe it could become a sticky once it's substantial? I know many people might feel that this was necessary for 11+ prep because kids were younger then but that by this stage students and schools will be doing this for themselves.

However, I'm feeling there could still be some benefits to this on here as sometimes, through no fault of their own, GCSE students still need a quick boost with the right materials without having to spend hours finding them for themselves. Also, some people on here homeschool and there are others baffled by the many new course specs that there are now.

So pooling our knowledge and findings could be of wide benefit. Clearly, lots of us won't know what our children are using at this stage --- but they may have some good recommendations they would be happy to share with us to put on here.

I have little up to date firsthand experience myself at the moment but I'm going to start out by suggesting a website called "Revision world" which looks as though it could be helpful both during the GCSE courses and in the final run-up to exams. I don't know anyone who has used it but it looks potentially useful - past papers etc in a wide variety of subjects, a method of setting up one's own revision timetable with useful links in it etc. One has to register but it looks as though it is free.
Reading Mum

Re: Shall we compile a sticky on useful GCSE materials etc?

Post by Reading Mum »

A word of advice for those in yrs 7/8.
Download copies of the science past papers you can find now. Most will be the old A-F rather than new spec but, particularly for science, nothing changes that much. The exam boards only keep the last 3 years online so if you download early in senior school you can get hold of earlier papers for practice/revision that will not be available any more come yr 11.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I have used the AQA Spec for French to come up with test yourself vocabulary sheets categorised according to noun, verb, adjective, etc. I am more than happy to email it to someone who knows how to attach it to this site, if that is at all possible. I wouldn't want to be sending lots of emails to individual people as life is just too short. I've tried to make links with other words (although occasionally it is just to help them remember rather than because they're actually connected in any way).
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

For learning vocab in Latin and French DD uses quizzlet. If you put the spec you are studying into the search facility in quizzlet up should pop a selection of ones already made (according to DD, can’t say I’ve done this myself). DD has opted for ones clearly made by schools to be more confident it contains the right vocab. You can test yourself from English to the language and vice verse.
She often checks things on Bitesize although some pages are no longer updated, and has some CGP workbooks that she liked for science when revising for topic tests. She is now mainly looking at past papers although last week asked me to rub out all of her pencil answers in the Chemistry book so that she could do it again :shock: - I earnt my parenting stripes that day!