Study leave - does your DC's school do it?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Study leave - does your DC's school do it?

Post by Amber »

Don't know the research but would say two things. The schools I worked in most recently did not allow any study leave at all. The demographic of the children at these schools was very different from that of my children's schools, which did and do allow it. The rationale for not giving it was that the students would not work unless they were in school.

My children's schools have all allowed it and I cannot imagine my own children would have got such good results if they had had to work in school rather than at home. But they all are capable of scheduling their own days, seeking help in school if they need it and actually doing the work.

I also would be interested to see the research.
piggys

Post by piggys »

My dd goes on study leave from tomorrow; she has pretty much finished all the syllabuses and has her final assembly tomorrow. She's at a GS.
mystery

Post by mystery »

There isn't any research is there?

How does it work for absence stats though and the number of sessions in the school year that have to be offered? Or because most are 16 is this all less of an issue?

Looks like every school does it differently and as someone said, what works well for some pupils will not be so good for others.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DS starts study leave tomorrow. From next week some boys have to study at school as they have been identified as benefiting from extra support and the rest have a choice of going into school or staying at home. My DS has asked to in to school to study as he feels it will suit him better bring away from distractions.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

No study leave at all at DD's school, but for a variety of mainly SEN issues DD went on study leave yesterday, so there is some lee way for individuals. She is much happier studying somewhere quiet, I'm at home most of the time, and she is used to studying independently.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:There isn't any research is there?
G55 mentioned 'studies have shown...'
solimum

Post by solimum »

DC at the school I work in have not yet officially been told when their study leave starts, although most of them have worked out it must be at the end of next week, given the first GCSEs are on the 14th/15th. I feel sorry for many of them - they've only just started to realise how their lives will change, and how their friendship groups will start to dissolve once they're no longer regularly coming to the same place every day. Of course many of them seem more obsessed with discussing the post-exam prom than actually revising!
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

DD starts study leave at 12 noon on Friday 11th (first exam Monday 14th). Seems fine with that, and bearing in mind she will only finish the syllabus in Physics today, its a good job they haven’t finished as yet.... For her being in school works well, with lessons spent doing timed questions and getting feedback etc and then she stays in the library to do her own revision after school (and once or twice before school too). She sometimes walks home which takes 40mins so that is a nice break. I can see her staying in school on a day when she only has a morning exam.
I notice that next year (can’t help worrying about DS next year :wink: ) that because of when Easter falls there is a week less between the Easter break (which is also slightly shorter than this year) so that will affect the amount of study leave too I guess.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Got it wrong. At school till next Friday.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

At Cliveden with revision. Could backfire but such a lovely day.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now