Reduction in music GCSE numbers

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Reading Mum

Re: Reduction in music GCSE numbers

Post by Reading Mum »

I agree with Tinkers and MoonUnit.
My DD is a pretty able musician and she has really not enjoyed the new GCSE. She is looking forward to the exam being done on Wednesday and then she can draw a big black line under it and go back to just enjoying the playing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which boards are these students studying?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Edexl for DD and Tinkers DD
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I think there are 4 music classes for next year's GCSE with about 15 in each? So maybe around 60 next year?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

KS10 wrote:It can depend on the personality of the teacher too. I know of pupils who love music because the teacher is enthusiastic and then you get some who aren't as able to convey their enthusiasm.
The music teachers were part of the reason DD chose to do it. She liked them before and enjoyed music lessons before the gcse years. So it’s not the teachers. I have no knowledge of the old gcse but it does seem that it not what it was like before.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I count as good friends four Heads of music - they have had no issues their schools. I think some teachers feel additional 'pressure' when there is a new specification ... two of the students not enjoying it are at the same school that should raise an eyebrow about what may be going on.

The specification looks very similar to the previous one to me.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Edexcel here too.
In some ways it’s a bit of a relief to hear other students having the same issues.
It’s not a teaching issue for my son certainly and there are over 40 out of 155 in his current year doing it.
Some extremely able ones amongst them.
Going into GCSE in Sept less than 20 out of 180.
That says a lot I think.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Have first hand experience of this with DD, loves music is a very competent player but hated the gcse.. set works boring, too much composition. And I know from discussions she is not alone, and it's not just her school.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’ve spoken to a couple of friends in the last day or so that also have DCs taking it, again at two different schools.

Much the same opinion. They wished they had taken something else. Both very able musicians too.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DD hasn’t enjoyed the composition aspect either and won’t consider A Level because apparently it’s more of the same. What’s worrying though is that it’s still one of her better subjects.