Reduction in music GCSE numbers

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hera

Re: Reduction in music GCSE numbers

Post by Hera »

I have found this thread quite worrying as DD has just taken this as one of her options. However some students must enjoy it as students do take it to A-Level including two of the girls that run the ensemble DD is part of.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

All very interesting.
Dd has pretty much decided not to do it for A level because (her words) "composition doesn't come naturally" to her and she has only discovered that by doing the GCSE. But although most of this year's lessons have been taken up with composition she is actually enjoying that bit; she did comment that a friend at a different school disliked it because the teacher only listened to and commented on the composition the week before it was due in, whereas dad's teacher listens to everyone's composition every week which makes her feel more supported.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It seems to vary from school to school Can she talk to the current Year 11s? As I said I've heard no problems locally. Composition was always 30% of Edexcel GCSE so there's no change there.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Hera the ones currently doing A level didn’t do the new 9-1 specification.
Current year 11s are the first ones.
What interests me is that unless I’m mistaken no current year 11 parents posting on here report that their child has enjoyed it.
I would think that’s unlikely to be a coincidence.
It’s not just the composition.
My DS thinks the choice of set works is dire.
Last edited by Moon unit on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thanks moon unit I was aware of that but pointing it out makes me feel a whole lot better. Guest55 DD spoke to year 11s im the options fair and A-Level students. She is happy with her choice so wouldn't discuss this with her now. What will be will be.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's interesting that it's composition that is being mentioned and this really doesn't seem to have changed [yes, I've read the specification]. Perhaps some students aren't used to doing this from Year 7 and find it difficult?
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

My DS has been doing compositions since he started secondary school.
The only good thing that’s come out of it is that he has learnt to work hard at something he doesn’t enjoy which is a useful skill in itself.
He is predicted to do very well at it so it’s not lack of ability either.
Roll on Wednesday!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If a student doesn't enjoy a course it is a fundamentally a teaching issue - an outstanding teacher should be able to engage any student whatever is being taught.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Dd1 enjoyed GCSE music and got an A, it was hard work for sure but I think she found it refreshing compared to the rest of her EBacc-ticking or otherwise compulsory GCSEs. It’s fair to say that she has also found it a bit of a refuge in A level from chemistry and biology at a different school, but it’s a new syllabus this year (WjEC or something I believe) and gosh so very challenging, much richer experience when all is said and done than Maths which she dropped in year 12 as 4 were too much but she couldn’t bear to leave music behind. The previous syllabus anthology they could leave sections out, this one they cannot. The composition was very difficult for her despite lots of teacher and peer help. There was 60% of the mark in course work, including hours of composition under stressful exam conditions (um, is that how musicians normally compose? I think not!) which they have no idea how it went, and no past papers, so just shrugs from the teachers. It sounded great to me but what do I know? The previous year 13 was bigger and more musical career oriented, a hard act to follow for a class of 4, and I felt she was a bit over pressured to perform in too many groups (5 days a week plus two instrumental lessons) and help out too much on trips concerts etc.

She said she won’t regret taking music IF it doesn’t mean she misses her Uni offer of 3A. We are feeling really sad that it seems regarded as somehow lesser than maths etc but it certainly is not, rather the opposite, and she doesn’t deserve to fail (as far as she is concerned) for being committed to the subject.

Dd2 ran a mile from taking GCSE music, which is a shame because she is a good string player. But I respect that, she finds music a challenge and not a refreshing change from academic work which she enjoys mostly anyway. She does it as a hobby and contributes her playing cheerfully to the borough youth orchestras.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I know G55 you are a very experienced teacher and over the years your posts have been extremely informative and helpful to me.
For the first time I would hope we could agree to differ.
Not one year 11 parent who posts on here is reporting a positive experience from GCSE music.
None of them are suggesting it’s a teaching issue.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now