Reduction in music GCSE numbers

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: Reduction in music GCSE numbers

Post by Tinkers »

Moon unit wrote:I know G55 you are a very experienced teacher and over the years your posts have been extremely informative and helpful to me.
For the first time I would hope we could agree to differ.
Not one year 11 parent who posts on here is reporting a positive experience from GCSE music.
None of them are suggesting it’s a teaching issue.
About a quarter of the year at my DDs School took gcse music. The teachers are the same as the ones they had in years 7-9. I’m sure if it was a teaching issue at her school they wouldn’t have those numbers choosing it in the first place. In previous years they have always had a few (not hoards) going forward to A level. This year it seems none want to.

I too was initially concerned about the teaching at her school, but I know the teachers, I know the school and I know my DD, plus some of the other girls doing it. DD has never said it was anything to do with the teaching, and has given me no other reason to think it might be (and she wouldn’t hold back saying if it was, believe me). With several others on here saying much the same, and now two friends also saying , I have to conclude it’s something else going on.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I have no experience of music GCSE, as neither of my sons had any interest but my observations of one going through old spec gcse (bar Maths and English) and one going completely through new spec, although the specifications appear relatively similar, the nuances have changed and it appears to me that “Gove’s new idea” sucks all the fun out of most subjects! History, for example, covers many of the same topics but the detail and amount means children wading around in encyclopaedia thick detail which, appears simply unnecessary. Even if they enjoy one topic, the sheer amount of information is enough to dampen that enthusiasm and that is just one topic in one subject. Nothing to do with how it’s taught.... There are very few poor teachers in our school (they don’t last) but I have seen many exhausted and saddened outstanding teachers. Gove has done a great job of turning children off A level subjects at a time when they are required to stay in education till 18....I can only imagine how awful it must be if you did add a poor teacher into the mix. :?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Gove, Gove, Gove.... what were OfQual and exam boards doing?
Some one doesn’t do well in anything, you can blame Gove for it. From Brexit to A levels.

Many schools considered old GCSEs too soft and were opting for IGSEs. Seems now The new GCSEs are stronger or at least as robust as IGSEs.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Just questioned DD. In her case, the teaching wasn’t particularly inspiring in Year 11 (change of teacher) but it was also definitely to do with the lack of any sort of performance in class. It was all theory with a bit of practice just before the exam element, but that was it. Perhaps it’s always been this way. She obviously didn’t do her homework beforehand.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is not an issue in any of the schools I know.
If the spec is 'boring' [and remember everyone has to do maths and some of the content may not inspire] then it is down to the teacher to help students engage - it certainly is a teaching issue. The course is 30% performance, 30% composition and 40% written paper - the delivery of the course should reflect that.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I certainly won’t be laying the blame on the teachers.
The music department in my sons school is extremely strong.
The teachers haven’t changed but the exam specification has.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Note I did not say the teachers, I said the teaching ... they clearly have not adapted to the new spec which other schools have done.

Just think about teachers who get every student taking their subject - they have to make the content engaging to students.

Anyway, we are getting way off topic as this was about the drop in numbers owing to the Ebacc.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Up thread you were suggesting it was the choice of board that was the problem.
Now it’s the teaching.
That’s not very likely at all these different schools.
Is it not possible that the exam boards have made the composition far too demanding and chosen uninspiring set works?
Exam boards must make mistakes sometimes with new specifications.
Not one parent of a child actually sitting the exam next week that posts on here has anything good to say about it.
How can the teaching be blamed for that at all these different schools.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Who wants Ebacc of no significance? Schools or children?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Two of the posters are in the same school so I make that three schools at most which is not a good sample.

Poor teaching of the Edexcel spec is my conclusion. As I said I know four heads of music and know a lot of local schools; none of them are reporting a problem. The composition component does not seem to have changed significantly and the choice of music looks varied.

Can we get back to the topic of the Ebacc and its impact on GCSE choices?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now