double or triple science

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: double or triple science

Post by mad? »

Amber wrote:
Surferfish wrote:How can you possibly say that a lack of knowledge of social science and humanities is the cause of the world's problems when all of those in power have been educated in those subjects to the highest level at the best universities in the world?
Is anyone saying that?
Surferfish wrote:Well mad? certainly seemed to be.
mad? wrote: we can already see what a complete lack of knowledge of history (repeating itself) is doing to our country/the world right now. Let alone a broad/basic understanding of philosophy/ geography
No, that is not what I am saying. Thank you. What I am saying is that a lack of breadth and wider understanding in the general populace is a very bad thing. The narrowing of our curriculum, of which 'forcing' the able to take three sciences is part, leads to key subjects, which I believe are of equal value, to be dropped at Y9. I hold sciences of equal value to other subjects but am disappointed at their pursuit at all costs so frequently witnessed on this forum and elsewhere.
Surferfish wrote:And what about Brexit? Perhaps if the likes of Boris Johnson and Michael Gove had degrees in a natural science they would have learnt to draw logical conclusions from data and evidence and would have deduced that Britain leaving the EU was not such a good idea. As almost every natural scientist I can think of did.
Every educated person I know did, natural scientist or not.
Surferfish wrote:Don't get me wrong. I've got nothing against people studying humanities and social science if that is their interest. Its just that to claim that these subjects are somehow undervalued and under-represented just doesn't follow when you consider that these are the degrees that seem to get people into positions of power and influence.
Mad leaders will always (potentially) exist irrespective of their educational background. What allows them to succeed is an electorate where even the educated appear unaware of recent history (for example Ireland, the trade wars of the 30s and the consequences of the rise of nationalism in times of austerity) or choose to ignore it. Personally I very much doubt Bojo thinks it is a good thing (witness his face the morning after the referendum) he just wants to win the Eton 6th form debating competition and cares not a jot about the people who get damaged along the way (nor indeed does he profess to...)
mad?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

mad? wrote:
Surferfish wrote:And what about Brexit? Perhaps if the likes of Boris Johnson and Michael Gove had degrees in a natural science they would have learnt to draw logical conclusions from data and evidence and would have deduced that Britain leaving the EU was not such a good idea. As almost every natural scientist I can think of did.
Every educated person I know did, natural scientist or not.
:lol: :lol:
So true.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Both of the educated people I know who (bizarrely) voted for Brexit are scientists. One is a doctor, one a biochemist.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mad? wrote:No, that is not what I am saying. Thank you. What I am saying is that a lack of breadth and wider understanding in the general populace is a very bad thing. The narrowing of our curriculum, of which 'forcing' the able to take three sciences is part, leads to key subjects, which I believe are of equal value, to be dropped at Y9. I hold sciences of equal value to other subjects but am disappointed at their pursuit at all costs so frequently witnessed on this forum and elsewhere.
And it is with this that I strongly agree. We need able people to go into all fields. The main reason for the parlous incompetence of our leaders is nothing to do with what they studied at their elite schools and their elite universities. And the main reason you don't tend to get natural scientists going into politics is that they prefer to be scientists. People are messing up the world, and it strikes me as sensible to encourage young people to learn about why they are doing it and what can be done to stop it. Science alone will not solve the world's problems.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

mad? wrote:No, that is not what I am saying. Thank you. What I am saying is that a lack of breadth and wider understanding in the general populace is a very bad thing. The narrowing of our curriculum, of which 'forcing' the able to take three sciences is part, leads to key subjects, which I believe are of equal value, to be dropped at Y9. I hold sciences of equal value to other subjects but am disappointed at their pursuit at all costs so frequently witnessed on this forum and elsewhere.
Apologies if I misunderstood then. I still think the idea of teaching all 3 sciences to GCSE level as part of a combined science course is a good one as it gives everyone a basic broad scientific education which in my view is important. Nobody should be forced to take triple science though. There is nothing wrong with doing double science (which still covers the basics of all 3 subjects) if your interests lie elsewhere.

Similarly I don't see why humanities shouldn't be taught in the same way. Combined GCSE humanities could cover Geography, History and RS. Pupils could then choose to take this as a single, double or triple GCSE in the same way they do science. Pupils more interested in science might take triple science and double humanities, while others might choose double science and triple humanities. That would still leave a couple of options for an MFL and practical/arty subject.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

I really like the double vs triple humanities option, one would not have to drop geography altogether for example. I have spoken to one of my colleague who was forced to do double science as her school didn't offer triple science and she is a scientist today, so it doesn't automatically closes doors which was my initial fear since I think DD might find sciences more interesting as she progresses at school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Surferfish wrote:Similarly I don't see why humanities shouldn't be taught in the same way. Combined GCSE humanities could cover Geography, History and RS. Pupils could then choose to take this as a single, double or triple GCSE in the same way they do science.
It was tried in the past and failed - not everyone wants to do History or Geography - they do study them for many more years than the separate sciences already.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/113571-gcs ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an example of a Humanities GCSE but this subject has been removed as part of the GCSE reforms.