Summer Vacation and study

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

Re: Summer Vacation and study

Post by JaneEyre »

Tinkers wrote:Some of it involves watching the odd film (for English Lit) and reading the odd book.
I had the privilege to have a fantastic literature teacher for my AS level English literature (I am very keen on English lit, don’t ask! :wink: ). He recommended to us- the pupils- to read over the summer preceding year 12 the books we would study during that year.
I do find this an excellent advice… even if I haven’t been able to implement it entirely, finding understanding Shakespeare on my own rather a hurdle a bit to high…
I have to add that I enjoy his plays very much… once I have understood them! :lol: I am a fan! :D

So well done to your DD Tinkers! :wink:
JaneEyre

Re: Summer Vacation and study

Post by JaneEyre »

test1 wrote:I was surprised to hear that some children actually study (or are made to study) during summer vacation - moving Y9 to Y10.
The reason might be that the child did badly in one (or more subjects) at their end of year exams and parents are trying to address the situation that they did not notice during the year?

In that case, helping the child to ‘get’ what he did not during the year does not seem a bad thing to me.

After a year 7 child did badly in her end of year exams in French, some parents have contacted me and I have been tutoring her since. Now, she can at last conjugate her verbs, phew. :D I have no idea why her French lessons at school did not suffice for her to master them. :( Maybe too much disruption during the lessons? A thing is sure to me; though she has some lessons over the summer, she has the time to play, read, get out, play, watch TV, etc.
In that case, it is not a matter of getting ready for her GCSEs but getting ready for the next year of study.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now