The long wait......

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
heartmum

Re: The long wait......

Post by heartmum »

Happy household here - DC did very well, he is still in a state of shock at what he has attained (many subjects above school predictions) but he worked hard to prove the school wrong and he has - we are very proud of him :D A lovely two weeks chilling now before the hard work begins again in 6th Form/A-levels 8) :D
Heartmum x x x
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

All very happy here too for dd2. She did exceptionally well given her health and other circumstances affecting her too.

Re: ‘love and relationships’ cluster for AQA English lit - she did it too but as we can’t post grade numbers, all I can say is that she’s happy with it and will be taking eng lit at Alevel.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Congratulations to all the children... and parents!
piggys

Post by piggys »

Thanks also due to Guest55 who is our maths wizard(ress?) and who knows everything there is to know about exam boards too :)

Hope all Y11 students and parents had a nice relaxing evening yesterday!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Question re maths gcse ..this is the one grade I worry that DS could have slightly messed up due to his terrible handwriting and Dyspraxia. Is there ever scope for a remark with maths? especially as his further maths grade is excellent or should I let it be?
KB

Post by KB »

It's not unknown for there to be changes in marks for maths. No doubt guest55 has some stats.

But as to whether to persue for an individual DC, I would see about getting a copy of the script and if you think there is a possibility of additional marks then ask for a teacher's opinion.
However if this is going to disturb your DC as they start 6th form it might be better to just move on.
Equally for some DC's they would rather investigate and have the question settled or it niggles away in their mind.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DC17C wrote:Question re maths gcse ..this is the one grade I worry that DS could have slightly messed up due to his terrible handwriting and Dyspraxia. Is there ever scope for a remark with maths? especially as his further maths grade is excellent or should I let it be?

I know this year of an A level chemistry result going up by several marks (on what was a maths based paper) and took the student into the next grade (and therefore getting the uni place rather than not).
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

All good here. Dd attained enough points to stay on at her school. It's the only school I know of locally where she can take Dance at A Level so it was a relief all round when we got the call to say she was in!

Dd entered the school in Year 8 after she was successful at the 12 plus. Just goes to show that she ended up in the right school for her after all :)
solimum

Post by solimum »

DC17C wrote:Question re maths gcse ..this is the one grade I worry that DS could have slightly messed up due to his terrible handwriting and Dyspraxia. Is there ever scope for a remark with maths? especially as his further maths grade is excellent or should I let it be?
has his handwriting/dyspraxia ever been flagged up as an issue with the SENCO support as potentially he could have had special exam consideration - but this would usually be more of an issue with essay subjects? In my experience even pupils who are entitled to a scribe for various physical difficulties prefer to do much of the maths papers themselves, though some need practical assistance with eg drawing diagrams ("put the ruler there - yes, up a bit, a cross there, a line there" - it's no easy task!)

Examiners aren't mind readers if trying to decipher an illegible scrawl but there may I imagine occasionally be scope for arguing for an extra mark on a couple of questions if you can see the script. There are of course usually multiple choice questions early on in the papers. If it is completely at odds with his F Maths result then maybe there's been a bigger mistake / missed question?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes, I have known a few additional marks for maths over the years - worth looking at a copy of the script first though.

Edexcel are offering this for free: https://qualifications.pearson.com/cont ... s-FAQs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now