The long wait......

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Re: The long wait......

Post by doodles »

Guest55 wrote:The grades are not yours to post; we've always agreed not to post grades to be sensitive to others. I can see no reason to start now ... this is certainly not the first 'new scenario'.

We can celebrate without the personal details which could well identify people ...
There will always be the boasters who sign up for just one day and nothing is going to stop that. However, I am sure that the regulars to the forum are sensitive enough to know what is and isn't appropriate to post. I cannot for one instance imagine that forum members who have been on this thread supporting each other for a while are going to list their dc's results subject by subject they are not that crass, please give people a little credit.

This has been a very difficult year to be doing GCSEs given the lack of past information available and people may be able to take some comfort that the results for a certain subject are "down" across the whole country and it's not just their DC who hasn't got an expected grade should this be the case come Thursday. Please don't make people feel that they can't discuss things when they may be able to get help from here or feel it's the only place they can turn for advice.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry - I believe the issues have been hyped! There were promises that the proportion of grades awarded would not change so no-one should be more anxious than in previous years.

I've seen many worse scenarios over the years - the change from O level to GCSE, the change to specifications [many times] in both GCSE and A level. The changes in A level to modular and now back to linear.

If your schools have said there has not been much information they are not being totally truthful. I've been supporting several students and the information from exam boards has been copious FAR more than any other change in recent years.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Guest55 wrote:Sorry - I believe the issues have been hyped! There were promises that the proportion of grades awarded would not change so no-one should be more anxious than in previous years.
You may well be right in your belief but nobody will actually know until Thursday.

Until then this is the thread for stressed parents and carers who need somewhere on the forum to hang out and relax.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The Government have stated it many times such as here: https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2018/01/26/g ... s-in-2018/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here: https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2017/04/05/s ... new-gcses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Relax ....
doodles

Post by doodles »

Guest55 wrote:Relax ....
Thanks for the suggestion!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

doodles wrote:There will always be the boasters who sign up for just one day and nothing is going to stop that.
I love those, it's like clay pigeon shooting.

"Pull!"
"My DS passed the 11+ with [score removed by moderator] and now we need to decide which house to s-"
"Crack!"

"Pull!"
"My DD got A*s in 11 subjects. Will this be good en-"
"Pow!"

"Pull!"
"DD has got top grades in four A-levels. Has anyone got travel advice for Camb-"
"Bang!"
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

anotherdad wrote:
doodles wrote:There will always be the boasters who sign up for just one day and nothing is going to stop that.
I love those, it's like clay pigeon shooting.

"Pull!"
"My DS passed the 11+ with [score removed by moderator] and now we need to decide which house to s-"
"Crack!"

"Pull!"
"Pow!"

"Pull!"
"DD has got top grades in four A-levels. Has anyone got travel advice for Camb-"
"Bang!"
:lol:

I find myself torn on this. I wouldn't post my children's grades on Facebook for fear of what people might think of the fact that I've done so... But I love seeing the results of the children of friends who I don't know well enough to actually ask... Many of them are parents of children from primary school -one last year was a child who had "failed" to get into any of the selective schools she sat for but got all A*/A at GCSE - it was heartwarming to see.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I wouldn’t post my DD’s grades without her permission, but I’ve already asked her if it will be ok to send them to a former primary school teacher (as long as she is still happy on the day) as I know the teacher concerned would be really interested to know how she did. The teacher made such a diffrence to DD during the year she had her, so we (both myself and DD) sort of see it as a ‘present’, a thank you for what she did for DD back then, as she probably played a big part in DD’s journey to this point.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:The Government have stated it many times such as here: https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2018/01/26/g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... s-in-2018/

and here: https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2017/04/05/s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... new-gcses/

Relax ....
Since when did anyone believe that the Government's reassurances meant anything? It is about time that politicians stopped meddling in exams and until they do, parents of children having to sit new ones will be understandably anxious about how changes will affect their children. The only constant thing in English education is change, but if you are the first to sit a new exam, no amount of reassurance, from a Government or an exam board or a very experienced teacher like you are G55 is going to stop parents having the wobbles. It is natural.

I think trying to veto what others can say on a support thread is not necessary - the boasters can go hang and will be given short shrift. I have posted the grades which two of my children got in particular subjects on here in the past - one because it had been deemed that it was impossible for a non-native speaker to get an A* in Mandarin, and one because of a marking 'scandal'. On both those occasions I had sought support and advice and was rounding off a story...never to boast. I have never volunteered grades to friends face to face let alone on here - and have taught my children to do the same to such great effect that only yesterday DS1, who got his A level grades a year ago, asked for my advice on what to tell someone else who asked how he got on - assuming it was this year and he was waiting to hear about university!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Amber wrote:Since when did anyone believe that the Government's reassurances meant anything? It is about time that politicians stopped meddling in exams and until they do, parents of children having to sit new ones will be understandably anxious about how changes will affect their children. The only constant thing in English education is change, but if you are the first to sit a new exam, no amount of reassurance, from a Government or an exam board or a very experienced teacher like you are G55 is going to stop parents having the wobbles. It is natural.
+1
anotherdad wrote:I love those, it's like clay pigeon shooting.

"Pull!"
"Crack!"

"Pull!"
"Pow!"

"Pull!"
"Bang!"
:lol: :lol:
I am so happy to be part of this forum and often get a good dose of humour! This is therapeutic! :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now