Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JaneEyre

Re: Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Post by JaneEyre »

Daogroupie wrote:Which board was this?
It is very hard to leave a question when you know you are doing a really good job on the answer.
For my English literature AS level ( OCR board), I did not leave completely the second question but spent 1 hour on the first question and thirty minutes on the second one... and I did that on both papers ( :twisted: ), tough I was aware of the danger during the second one!! :evil:
It is indeed very very hard to stop writing an essay once one has done one's plan!!!

Daogroupie wrote:Which board was this?
The timing is really brutal in English GCSE's. It would be interesting to know what percentage of students do this, blow it on the timing and do a brilliant essay and not leave enough time for the other two. DG
For my GCSE (the old version, AQA board), I did not leave question 4 blank but I did not have time to finish it.
Knowing that I can ever finish an exam paper, my intention before taking the exam was to leave question 2 aside in order to finish question 4 that I like very much. But one of my friends, who is an English teacher, had been taken aback by my plan of action and she has lectured me that I absolutely had to do question 2 and not leave out these easy points. As a good girl/lady, I followed therefore her advice ... and could not finish question 4!! :lol: :lol:
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

JaneEyre wrote:
Guest55 wrote:JThe main issue is paying only £4 so it's rarely experienced teachers marking these days.
I am aware that at some point, there was some talk about having the exams papers by English teachers in India.

Frankly, that would be like giving me some English or literature exams paper to mark despite me having French as my mother tongue and having been educated outside the UK: I would not be able to do such a job!!! :wink:
That's an invalid comparison, as whilst in India, English is compulsory learn, and often the second language taught from reception (legacy of The British Raj) as opposed to in France, who detest, and have no obligation towards learning English :P .
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Daogroupie wrote:The timing is really brutal in English GCSE's... DG
Why so? And is that in Eng Language or Lit? Apologies for butting in but I am just looking for as much information as I can in case I need to give my DS a bit of a jog-along when the time comes!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’ve just asked DD about her gcse English exam timings and she didn’t think they were that time pressured. She certainly had time to check through her answers.

Maybe she writes fast. :?:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

topsyturvy wrote:
JaneEyre wrote:
Guest55 wrote:JThe main issue is paying only £4 so it's rarely experienced teachers marking these days.
I am aware that at some point, there was some talk about having the exams papers by English teachers in India.

Frankly, that would be like giving me some English or literature exams paper to mark despite me having French as my mother tongue and having been educated outside the UK: I would not be able to do such a job!!! :wink:
That's an invalid comparison, as whilst in India, English is compulsory learn, and often the second language taught from reception (legacy of The British Raj) as opposed to in France, who detest, and have no obligation towards learning English :P .
Excuse me??? Who told you that French people detest learning English?? That is new to me!!
My 18 years old niece arrives in the UK in one week to start her undergraduate studies at the University or Warwick.
Besides, not all Indian pupils learn English from a young age.
Last edited by JaneEyre on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I think the Edexcel language paper is rather tricky given that there is an awful lot to do.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Tinkers wrote:I’ve just asked DD about her gcse English exam timings and she didn’t think they were that time pressured. She certainly had time to check through her answers.

Tinkers, I think that I am slower to form sentences in my head than children having English as their mother tongue. For example, a word may not come straightaway to my mind... and I need a few seconds to remember it. :( I know that my issue with time is not shared by many!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Daogroupie wrote:The timing is really brutal in English GCSE's... DG

JaneEyre wrote:
Tinkers wrote:I’ve just asked DD about her gcse English exam timings and she didn’t think they were that time pressured. She certainly had time to check through her answers.

Tinkers, I think that I am slower to form sentences in my head than children having English as their mother tongue. For example, a word may not come straightaway to my mind... and I need a few seconds to remember it. :( I know that my issue with time is not shared by many!
My comment about timing was in response to DG’s comment about the GCSE English timings being brutal. My DD didn’t think hers were. However she did Eduqas, unlike most, so maybe it was less pressured.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

JaneEyre wrote: Tinkers, I think that I am slower to form sentences in my head than children having English as their mother tongue. For example, a word may not come straightaway to my mind... and I need a few seconds to remember it. :( I know that my issue with time is not shared by many!
Trust me... some women of a certain age also can't find the right word straightaway :lol:
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

JaneEyre wrote:
topsyturvy wrote:
JaneEyre wrote: I am aware that at some point, there was some talk about having the exams papers by English teachers in India.

Excuse me??? Who told you that French people detest learning English?? That is new to me!!
My 18 years old niece arrives in the UK in one week to start her undergraduate studies at the University or Warwick.
Besides, not all Indian pupils learn English from a young age.
Nothing personal, I just felt your comparison was an insensitive one in an attempt to undermine English Teachers in India.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now