Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

susanass

Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Post by susanass »

Hi, I hope someone can please help as I do not know what to do. I requested the breakdown for my DC's GCSE results. Mainly for Physics (AQA Board) as this is one of the subjects chosen for A-level and the result is a 6. The mark for my dc is 101, (the grade boundary for a 7 is 103 and the grade boundary for a 6 is 85). So a lot closer to a 7 than 6. My DC wants a re-mark as wants to take this for ALevel. Does anyone know how risky this is? I don't want it to go down instead of up obviously as a place has already been offered with a 6! Are mistakes made or am I wasting my time?Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
anotherdad

Re: Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Post by anotherdad »

Mistakes are occasionally made and in your situation it would seem unlikely that a re-mark would cost a grade. Have you sought the school's advice?
susanass

Post by susanass »

anotherdad wrote:Mistakes are occasionally made and in your situation it would seem unlikely that a re-mark would cost a grade. Have you sought the school's advice?
There was no one there today to ask today unfortunately. We only looked into the grade boundaries today. I am just worried a 6 won't be enough for certain university courses. Although I haven't looked into this as of yet tbh. It is the fact that it is so close to a 7. I am so confused :?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

We have a similar issue with Eng Lit, 2 marks off a boundary, and a grade below her predicted. It’s also an A level choice, but there’s still not a problem with her taking it.

They were all given an info sheet on what to do if they felt they wanted results reviewed, and were told to talk to the teachers when they get back in September. The deadline given to them was the 19th I believe, (but I think the official might be a day or so later), so you have time.

I think DD will go for a remark for that one and maybe another subject. It’s worth a shot when they are so close, but we are going in hoping it will go up but not expecting it to.

In your case, maybe worth emailing the appropriate teacher and/or exam officer to see what the procedure is.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

No need to be confused. Has your school got an email box they will check at this time? Have you rung them to see if anyone will be on duty? In my limited experience on this (one GCSE re-mark request couple of years ago) it is the subject teacher that advises on the matter. I'm sure there's plenty of time, too.

I'm not an expert on this so others might pitch in with more information but yes, there is a chance that some universities might be concerned that a grade 6 suggests that getting a very high grade in the subject at A level would be a challenge. For example, a university that typically would make an A*AA or AAA offer to a physics/engineering/related subject might be anxious that going from a 6 to an A is unlikely, but that's just certain universities with certain courses. You have plenty of time to research the options if you don't pursue a re-mark or if a re-mark doesn't change the grade. There are so many institutions and so many courses with all sorts of typical offers that it isn't going to be a show-stopper, unless your child is absolutely set on a physics or related course at a university that typically gives a very stiff offer requirement.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

A 6, or old B grade, is probably the minimum grade suggested to study a subject at A level. Our school requires an A grade at GCSE to study at A level - because A levels are so much harder. How would he feel if he was marked down more solidly into the 6?

You could ask for the script and see if there are any obvious errors. Mistakes in marking do happen - on here we do hear of people moving up a grade - be aware people do go down sometimes too - and are less likely to advertise that. Teachers will be able to advise.

Is your child considering a specific university or course? Check out their minimum requirements if so - if you are more flexible about courses/unis you should be ok if your child gets solid A levels, but obviously going from a 6 at GCSE to a high A level gradecmay appear a stretch.

Cross posted with others
susanass

Post by susanass »

It is more frustrating as my dc has always been predicted an A in Physics. The grades obtained for the other ALevel choices are 7 & 8. We were in two minds as to whether to drop Physics, due to the 6, and choose an alternative subject where an 8 has been obtained but the subjects just don't gel well. Is it a better idea to choose your A Level choices based on the GCSE score? As some other students have changed their mind once they received their results and just gone for the ones with the higher scores. If anyone has had a remark, it would be great to hear how it worked out. Thank you again.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

There are lots of things to consider when making A level choices, GCSE grade being just one of them. Again, the best person to advise would be the subject teacher at school who will know your child and be best placed to advise whether Physics is a suitable choice. Don't get too fixated on grades - there's no point having a miserable time for two years studying a combination of subjects you don't enjoy just because they are supposedly your "best" subjects. Many years ago I wanted to do Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A level but my school pressured me to try and change my choices to reflect my best results at GCSE. I stuck to my guns and although I didn't get great A level results, I enjoyed the subjects and the combination got me into my choice of course and university. I was never going to be an AAA student in those subjects heading for Oxbridge but that wasn't my aspiration anyway.

My daughter's remark for one of her GCSEs was unsuccessful. It was in a subject that she wasn't taking at A level so wasn't critical but she was just a mark off the next grade so it seemed worth a shot.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There's time to talk to the teacher and they will be able to advise. The deadline for a review of marking is around 27th September although schools often have their own earlier deadline ...

https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administra ... st-results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hera

Post by Hera »

How do you find out if your DC is a mark or 2 off the next grade? On DCs results slip the only extra information other than grade was for Maths which was given as mark equivalent but he didn't have that for any other subjects. Do you request it from the school or do some boards provide and and others don't? I am not looking for remarks but wanted to know how others know how close there child is to the boundary either way.

Good luck to those having remarks.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now