Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

Re: Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Post by JaneEyre »

topsyturvy wrote:Nothing personal, I just felt your comparison was an insensitive one in an attempt to undermine English Teachers in India.
I understand better your comment, Topsyturvy. I am sorry if I have appeared insensitive.
The point I was trying to make is that a secondary English teacher brought up in India and having an academic degree from India would not have, in most cases, the same level of proficiency and mastering of the English language as a secondary English teacher brought up and educated in Britain.

My remark might not please some of the readers of the forum – I am sorry about that - but at the same time, I ask them to be honest with themselves.

I have never lived in India but I have lived many years in Egypt which is a country which has also been colonised by the British. So I think that what I have observed about the English standards in Egypt is similar to those in India. Please, do correct me if my logic is wrong!
In books published in India – I have often browsed some of them in the Gulf countries where I have also lived for many years - there are often mistakes in term of the English language
And I am writing this while I know perfectly that I cannot write well in English!!! So it is not a critic! It is just an observation.
I have to add that my remark concerns the standards of English, not at all the level in science, in maths, etc. :D
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Received email today regarding dd's English Lang exam. She's within 3 marks of the next grade. Worth a remark? It's Edexcel. Not sure why it's taken this long for school to inform us but not sure what to do. Dd achieved Grade 7 in English Lit and 6 in English Lang (predicted 7). She's currently taking A Level at English Lit/Lang but would the mark if it happened to change to a 7 make any difference in the future re Uni's etc?

A couple of days after results school emailed regarding a remark of her Chemistry paper but as dd was not taking any Science A Levels we decided not to pursue.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Could they quickly download for free and get a teacher to look at it? It'd need to be done asap.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Guest55 wrote:Could they quickly download for free and get a teacher to look at it? It'd need to be done asap.
Thanks Guest55 I'll email and ask this very question!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Technically your child has to give permission but presumably they can sort that?
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

My DS did Edexcel English Lang and was one mark off a 7. We put in for a review on Thursday, got the result back today- no change to the mark.
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

BuzzyBee - my DDs score went down 2 points for English Lang (same school)!

We have also now had Biology back - 1 paper went up and one went down so it stayed exactly the same! Waiting for the papers to come back to see what went wrong.

Now just waiting for Eng Lit but i’m not holding out any hope.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

ConfusedAylesburyMum that's a shame about the Biology one!

I'm hoping for an email back today from the teacher who emailed me and then we will decide.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Should have checked my inbox email just received.

Teacher states he does not have access to 'show my script' by Edexcel. School said they will pay for the remark (currently have a bursary application going through).

I'll talk with dd tonight and if she decides to go ahead then she'll need to see Exams Officer tomorrow to apply for a remark.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The teacher needs to talk to the Exams officer to sort it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now