Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MSD

Re: Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Post by MSD »

Blitz wrote:My DS did Edexcel English Lang and was one mark off a 7. We put in for a review on Thursday, got the result back today- no change to the mark.
We too had our OCR English Lang Paper A re-marked but no luck - mark stayed the same. Have sent Paper B in now and see what we get.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Dd2 received her remark today. This is for Edexcel English Lang. Paper 1 went up by 1 mark and paper 2 went up by 8 marks. A very happy dd2 as she felt that although her language paper wasn’t as strong as the literature, it did go well. Besides she needed a grade 8 for some of the universities she’ll be applying to hence her wish to get it remarked.
MSD

Post by MSD »

DIY Mum wrote:Dd2 received her remark today. This is for Edexcel English Lang. Paper 1 went up by 1 mark and paper 2 went up by 8 marks. A very happy dd2 as she felt that although her language paper wasn’t as strong as the literature, it did go well. Besides she needed a grade 8 for some of the universities she’ll be applying to hence her wish to get it remarked.
Congrats DIY Mum! That’s great news
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Just got my DS Edexcel Eng lit remark back. Two points off a 9 so went for a remark on one paper. Mark was exactly the same which we found very reassuring.
piggys

Post by piggys »

KS10 wrote:I think the Edexcel language paper is rather tricky given that there is an awful lot to do.
Yep. EDEXCEL language paper 2 is by far the most challenging IMPO - it has twice the number of questions than AQA paper 2 for example, and several high markers, as well as the 40 marker for section B. Time management of this paper is indeed savage. I would never recommend this paper. The question/skill set overlap just doesn't make sense. AQA is loads better.

I don't like OCR paper 1 either ! Unseen material overload with 2 extracts for both papers which is entirely unnecessary.

WRT to remarks; in the end dd didn't bother getting her physics remarked; she is happy with her results and so are we. She was also 1 mark off the next grade with her maths but she decided to let things be.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Update - in the end we didn't pursue with the remark. It didn't help that a day before the cut off date we had another email from the teacher to say the due date had been brought forward one day so we had no time for the Exams Officer to download script etc.

Dd was very matter of fact. She was content that she was near the next grade and she got the required grades (which are high at her GS) to take English Lit/Lang A Level so we left it at that.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Thank-you, msd. :)

Dd2 is also 2 marks of the 9 for Physics. Teacher did email her to get it remarked but she didn’t pursue.
MSD

Post by MSD »

DIY Mum wrote:Thank-you, msd. :)

Dd2 is also 2 marks of the 9 for Physics. Teacher did email her to get it remarked but she didn’t pursue.
Good to catch up with you - been good few years! DS1 too couple of marks away from a 9 on Computing but feels a re-mark may not be worth it in a subject like Computing, where either you have right answer or not. He is trying for English Language though - keeping my fingers crossed for him as a higher grade will certainly make a difference to his pre-interviews chances on the course he wants to pursue at university.
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

MSD wrote:
Good to catch up with you - been good few years! DS1 too couple of marks away from a 9 on Computing but feels a re-mark may not be worth it in a subject like Computing, where either you have right answer or not. He is trying for English Language though - keeping my fingers crossed for him as a higher grade will certainly make a difference to his pre-interviews chances on the course he wants to pursue at university.
All the best for your ds. Encountered a similar situation with ds1 (3 years ago) when he applied for a course that had an unpredictable application process but it worked out best for him in the end.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now