Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Post by Guest55 »

The system was changed after a consultation: https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2016/03/11/r ... d-figures/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Exam boards have their 'offer' on their websites -

AQA was posted above

Edexcel is here: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/s ... vices.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would be helpful if posters were aware of these changes and checked that what they are saying is actually correct.
watford

Post by watford »

topsyturvy wrote:Find out raw marks for the 3 maths papers for the DD. Try and find out which paper chance of getting that one mark.

Worth a try!
piggys wrote:We have a similar issue as my dd was literally 1 mark off an 8 for her maths. I'm not bothered about it but she is! I guess we will consult the school.
We just received the outcome of maths mark as were 2 marks away from a 7. We got the 2 marks, DD very happy as she needed this for university place to do the course she wants. She's not doing it for A level. We got all of thr maths papers remarked.

We've decided to also get the classics remarked OCR as she's 7 ums marks away from an A. One particular unit stands out like a sore thumb so teacher has suggested that we get a remark. Fingers crossed.
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

Watford- that is great news, well done to your DC.

The re-mark has come back really quickly, do you mind me asking which board? DS is having remark by AQA but I'm not sure how we get the result?
watford

Post by watford »

Miltonkeynes1 wrote:Watford- that is great news, well done to your DC.

The re-mark has come back really quickly, do you mind me asking which board? DS is having remark by AQA but I'm not sure how we get the result?
Thank you

EdExcel. The result will come through via the exams office at the school. I put the request in on results day.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I can only speak from experience. My sons AQA Geography GCSE went up 12 marks ( B to an A), his English A Level went from B to A and Geography A Level from D to C. On the A levels we only had one paper marked based on a pure guess of the one likely to go up. Could have been higher I suppose. I now have a healthy scepticism about exam marking, though do appreciate the pressure the markers are under and the pittance they are paid per paper.
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

TIDDLYMUM wrote:I can only speak from experience. My sons AQA Geography GCSE went up 12 marks ( B to an A), his English A Level went from B to A and Geography A Level from D to C. On the A levels we only had one paper marked based on a pure guess of the one likely to go up. Could have been higher I suppose. I now have a healthy scepticism about exam marking, though do appreciate the pressure the markers are under and the pittance they are paid per paper.
Wow- thanks for sharing, just as well you got them re- marked. I'll keep my fingers crossed for DS and everyone else's DC who is awaiting the results of a re-mark.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Miltonkeynes1 wrote:
TIDDLYMUM wrote:I can only speak from experience. My sons AQA Geography GCSE went up 12 marks ( B to an A), his English A Level went from B to A and Geography A Level from D to C. On the A levels we only had one paper marked based on a pure guess of the one likely to go up. Could have been higher I suppose. I now have a healthy scepticism about exam marking, though do appreciate the pressure the markers are under and the pittance they are paid per paper.
Wow- thanks for sharing, just as well you got them re- marked. I'll keep my fingers crossed for DS and everyone else's DC who is awaiting the results of a re-mark.
Heard from DS's school this morning that the first OCR English language re-mark they sent through went up by 5 marks.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I find it interesting that we only ever hear of marks going up. Some years ago we had 2 of DD's AS levels remarked. One stayed the same & the other went down by 6 marks that she could ill afford (grade stayed the same). Last year DS1 had 2 GCSEs remarked as he was one mark off the next grades (A*) and both stayed the same.
PS one was physics
Weird autocorrect edited
Last edited by scary mum on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum
watford

Post by watford »

scary mum wrote:I find it interesting that we only evergearof marks going up. Some years ago we had 2 of DD's AS levels remarked. One stayed the same & the other went down by 6 marks that she could ill afford (grade stayed the same). Last year DS1 had 2 GCSEs remarked as he was one mark off the next grades (A*) and both stayed the same.
PS one was physics
Classics remark came back yesterday and it's stayed the same. She misread the question as we also ordered the script.
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

watford wrote:
scary mum wrote:I find it interesting that we only evergearof marks going up. Some years ago we had 2 of DD's AS levels remarked. One stayed the same & the other went down by 6 marks that she could ill afford (grade stayed the same). Last year DS1 had 2 GCSEs remarked as he was one mark off the next grades (A*) and both stayed the same.
PS one was physics
Classics remark came back yesterday and it's stayed the same. She misread the question as we also ordered the script.
Sorry about that Watford. Was that Edexel too? DS has no news from AQA.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now