Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Physics GCSE 2 points away...worth a re-mark?

Post by Guest55 »

Schools have access to the actual raw marks.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Guest55 wrote:Schools have access to the actual raw marks.
Thank you Guest 55. Can I also ask you if you know what the marks equivalent is that DS has for his Edexcel Maths. Is that a raw score?

Have people requested raw marks from the schools or was it included with the results slips?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

We found that the edexcel and old AQA gcses were included in the results slip, but new AQA GCSEs and eduqas ones weren’t. However DD found out about her eduqas score somehow.
KB

Post by KB »

Any half decent subject teacher should be able to look at the copy of the script and advise pretty well on what will happen if you request a re-mark.

+1 to speaking to subject teacher about changing A level choices. An off day shouldn't be cause for change.

This is a disadvantage of the demise of AS levels. In the past he could have got a better grade at the end of year 12 to demonstrate true ability before UCAS deadlines.
If the GCSE grade proves an obstacle he could take a year out and apply post A level results. With the required grade at A level in the bag the GCSE will be much less important, if at all.
susanass

Post by susanass »

Hera wrote:How do you find out if your DC is a mark or 2 off the next grade? On DCs results slip the only extra information other than grade was for Maths which was given as mark equivalent but he didn't have that for any other subjects. Do you request it from the school or do some boards provide and and others don't? I am not looking for remarks but wanted to know how others know how close there child is to the boundary either way.

Good luck to those having remarks.
Hi, I just asked the school as I was concerned it was a 6 when a 7 was required, so they gave me all the grade boundaries with his raw score on there. Hope this helps.
susanass

Post by susanass »

Thank you all for your input, I have emailed the school and will speak to the teacher once they are back.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

kenyancowgirl wrote: You could ask for the script and see if there are any obvious errors. Mistakes in marking do happen - on here we do hear of people moving up a grade - be aware people do go down sometimes too - and are less likely to advertise that. Teachers will be able to advise.
+ 1
I added the bold
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Note you have to ask for a copy at this stage not the actual script ...
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

susanass wrote:Hi, I hope someone can please help as I do not know what to do. I requested the breakdown for my DC's GCSE results. Mainly for Physics (AQA Board) as this is one of the subjects chosen for A-level and the result is a 6. The mark for my dc is 101, (the grade boundary for a 7 is 103 and the grade boundary for a 6 is 85). So a lot closer to a 7 than 6. My DC wants a re-mark as wants to take this for ALevel. Does anyone know how risky this is? I don't want it to go down instead of up obviously as a place has already been offered with a 6! Are mistakes made or am I wasting my time?Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Very close indeed. Maybe chance of getting 2 marks in long questions.

Have you checked what DC's marks are in Paper 1 and Paper 2; check grade boundary for P1 and P2 on AQA. Which of the paper looks more favourable to re-mark.

All the best!
piggys

Post by piggys »

We have a similar issue as my dd was literally 1 mark off an 8 for her maths. I'm not bothered about it but she is! I guess we will consult the school.