Advice Please!

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Advice Please!

Post by ToadMum »

Are there still November resits for all subjects? For some reason, I thought that the new spec exams are only run in the summer, apart from English and Maths?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes, the November resits are just for English and Maths and only open to students who sat them in the summer. This is to stop early entry.

The provisional timetable for Edexcel is here:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/cont ... etable.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

I have complete empathy with you Committed, it is a really tough call. The exams officer at DS's school advised everyone within 5 to 6 marks below the next boundary to just get 1 paper re- marked to try and reduce the risk of the mark going down. Then if the marks increase slightly, they advise to get the other paper re- marked, time permitting.
We have requested getting just the 1 paper re-marked as DS was 3 marks off grade 7.
Thanks for all the advice.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

A question regarding AQA English 2018, I am told the AQA board do not give out photocopy, and only way to go ahead is reviewing, which means not remarking.

Very confusing for parents, so if I want a photocopy, they are not going to give, they can only give a photocopy if we review, and review will not mean remarking only they will check if the examiner has checked all sections and total are accurate.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

No, AQA not giving these photocopy's. Only option is Blind Review
2childmum wrote:I've just looked at the paperwork which came with DDs results re requesting scripts, remarks etc. AQA do seem to provide a photocopy of the script for a cost of £14.35, but the deadline given for this is 30th August - this seems to be the exam board deadlines for all photocopy/original scripts (they give the deadline for remarks as 27th September)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Thanks ToadMum,

Would you know if one gets a clerical check from AQA, can one still get a review done after a clerical check option?

This is specific to AQA GCSE.

ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

It isn't clear on the fees flowchart, but in the first document, it

If you request a review or priority review of marking:

it includes a clerical check a second examiner will review the paper/recording again to identify genuine marking errors or unreasonable marking we'll make sure all the marks are counted

(Apologies for formatting, am using phone).
piggys

Post by piggys »

Optymum wrote: the current system is not working to identify actual English ability, but more knowledge on the chosen subject.
I disagree entirely. Section B actually tests a candidate's ability to construct a persuasive, lucid argument using mature, adventurous vocabulary and robust, forceful structure. These are English language skills. The topic was about the way winning and money has become paramount in sports (not cheating, FYI). It isn't difficult to come up with lots of ideas about this even if you do no sports at all. I had plenty of students who don't do much sport who did very well in this section so the idea that you need specific knowledge about the topic is a red herring. In any case, both source A and B are based on the topic so there is plenty of material there too.