Advice Please!

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Advice Please!

Post by Guest55 »

A review of marking is just that - it's only if you request the actual paper [not a copy] that the mark can't change.
committed

Post by committed »

Thanks for your support Optymum. Sounds identical circumstances, even down to the 6 in literature.

It is the case that if you ask for the paper from AQA, they send the original script and then you cannot subsequently ask for a review (understandably).

I agree that the English exam can play to certain strengths. The essay question on the AQA Paper 2 was supposed to be accessible to all, but I believe it was based on cheating in sports. This may have suited many kids, but didn't play to my son's strengths. All the recommendations in the world to put in counterarguments and make sure you acknowledge alternative views seemed impossible for him on the day as he didn't have any knowledge about the topic. He obviously could have made something up, but didn't think to. I think your suggestion that there are alternative options would make a real difference.

I also think that AQA need to review their access to scripts policy. If Edexcel can provide them for free then surely AQA can. This would allow kids, parents and teachers to make sure that the right mark is obtained.

I really hope your son is successful in getting into the course he wants.
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

I wish your DS all the best too, Committed. Ironically, had my DS done Language this year, I think he would have been able to write really well on cheating in Sport....just shows that the current system is not working to identify actual English ability, but more knowledge on the chosen subject. Ds2 does GCSE's in two years, maybe the exam structure will be better then, but not holding out great hope! (at least he is not AQA!)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

committed , the JCQ guidelines are here
https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/pos ... s-services
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
committed

Post by committed »

Thanks ToadMum.

This document suggests that the scripts should be available, but it is caveated with 'subject to availability' and 'Centres should check awarding bodies’ websites as to the availability of copies of GCSE scripts'.

The AQA website says quite clearly 'we will not provide priority copies of summer 2018 GCSE papers', but I might ask our exams office whether they can contact AQA and ask the direct question.

For any other subject, DS might be inclined to just go for a review, but English language is one of those critical ones where dropping a grade would make a disproportionate difference. I will contact the exams office, but best guess is at this point that DS will just have to live with it, even if it closes off some options.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You could ask the school to check ERA https://www.aqa.org.uk/contact-us/secur ... s-analysis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to see if anything looks 'odd' about his paper.

Otherwise you need to weigh up the 'risk' of the grade going down against ruling out some unis for an application.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Have you considered doing the retake in November? My dd did this and went up a grade. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some unis don't like retakes and, of course, you have to declare all grades on your UCAS application.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Guest55 wrote:Some unis don't like retakes and, of course, you have to declare all grades on your UCAS application.
And some schools don’t offer to opportunity to do them either.
KB

Post by KB »

If considering a resit it would definitely be worth checking with universities that require a certain grade at GCSE if having it as a resit is sufficient.
If what they are saying is you need to reach a certain standard at English to successfully complete the course then common sense says it doesn't matter if you reach that level after summer of year 11 as long as it's before autumn post year 13.

Some schools may not offer a resit opportunity but there are other centres at which to take it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now