Advice Please!

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Advice Please!

Post by Guest55 »

The 12th September is an internal deadline DG - just look at the official dates!

The mark schemes are already out for teachers so they can use them to compare with the marking.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am fully aware of both of these facts and of the official dates. I have dealt with these dates every year for many years now.

However the OP will have to deal with the internal deadlines of their school, not the deadlines given by the boards.

I was giving the deadline we are dealing with as an example to show that they have some time after school opens and they will not be short of time.

Access to the mark schemes by the teachers of the OP's ds does not seem to have given them any insight as to where he might have gone wrong.

The issue here is understanding what happened so he can move forward with confidence.

Hopefully with the mark schemes and the scripts the History department will then be able to provide clarification for the OP. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

With respect, I don't think you have dealt with these dates other than as a parent as I don't think you work in a school. All the points you make are made earlier in the thread ... why post 12th as that is just DAO's deadline and imho [and that of the vast majority of schools] this unnecessarily early.

They can't compare with the mark scheme until they've seen the paper. From what was said they've just asked for a review of marking without seeing the paper first.
committed

Post by committed »

Our school have suggested that AQA are not offering access to a copy of any scripts for GCSE (priority copies are available at A-level) and that the only alternative if you want the grade checked is that you go for a clerical re-check or mark review. The AQA site suggests the same. This differs from other boards, as Guest 55 has already suggested, with Edexcel offering copies of scripts for free while OCR have an admin cost.

If this is correct (and I would love if someone could tell me that it isn't), for kids who took AQA papers this means that you are going in blind in relation to any review.

My son got what he needed to do the subjects he wants in sixth form but he got a 5 in English language - two levels lower than expected - which means that certain universities are now unavailable to him (Imperial are one that require a 6 in English Language). A 5 is enough for most unis, but a 4 would be a major problem and would also cost him his sixth form place. The risk doesn't seem to be worth it as he is midway between the grade boundaries. I am interested in the idea that some people have had success with English reviews, but without any access to scripts, AQA appear to have made it really difficult.

If any of the teachers or parents on here are being told something different from their schools about AQA and whether it is possible to get a copy in advance of making a decision to review, that information would be much appreciated.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Guest55 wrote: why post 12th as that is just DAO's deadline
Why would DAO not be able to give a concrete example of school deadline? :?
I rather feel DAO's post very kind and supportive. :D
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I've just looked at the paperwork which came with DDs results re requesting scripts, remarks etc. AQA do seem to provide a photocopy of the script for a cost of £14.35, but the deadline given for this is 30th August - this seems to be the exam board deadlines for all photocopy/original scripts (they give the deadline for remarks as 27th September)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

committed - you are correct for GCSE - here is the page that explains it: https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administra ... rked-paper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

In my opinion if Edexcel can offer free access to copies of the script then all boards could and should.
committed

Post by committed »

Thank you. This likely explains why the school went straight for a review in the case of the OP.

I think the risk is too great for our circumstances to ask for a review, but I am unhappy that AQA decided that they wouldn't allow access to scripts for all GCSE students - the only major board to fail to allow their students access to this facility.

I don't really understand their position: Following Ofqual's decision about post-results, we will not provide priority copies of summer 2018 GCSE papers. We're reviewing this for future series.

Presumably it is an effort to avoid review requests.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think Edexcel's approach is correct and will reduce reviews. Schools have been able to look through 'near-misses' and will only recommend a review when they've spotted a potential error.
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

Committed, we had the same with our DS last year. He too achieved A's in all his desired A level choices, but a 5 in English Language and a 6 in Literature, both below the grade 7/8 predictions. He was AQA also. From my understanding, if a script is reviewed, then it cannot be re-marked. I really feel strongly that the English Exams are poorly structured. It is always going to be a 'subjective' marking scheme, and the grade boundaries being often only 10 marks apart, mean a grade could easily go up/ down by at least one grade if marked by a different examiner. I also feel that in the case of the persuasive writing, the candidates should get a choice of topics. No matter how good your English skills may be, it is hard to write well on a topic you may have no real opinion on. My son had to write about 'over-protective parenting' and he really struggled, as it is not something he felt strongly about. Had it been sport, endangered animals or another topic, his mark would have been different. I think to get a measure of the actual English ability of a student, you need a better choice of topics so each student has the chance to write at the best of their ability. Then you may get a truer measure of English ability, although I still feel the grade boundaries are too close.
We did not go for the re-mark, for much the same reasons as you. DS really likes a Wild Animal Biology degree course run by the Royal Veterinary College, but they want a 6 in Language too. When I called they said he can still apply, but he may not get offered. Such a shame when he is quite capable of the A level grades required.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now