Lit Paper 2 - Poetry

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
piggys

Lit Paper 2 - Poetry

Post by piggys »

This is tricky to advise for, since even if people are doing the same board they may well be doing a different section of the anthology! If anyone has specific questions about a certain poem , post it and I will do my best.

In general, I would ensure you know a cluster of your anthology- knowing all of them is best, but most people revise strategically for this. There are about 4 types of poem in each cluster. Make sure you know SOME of the pre 20thC, and at least one of each type. For example in the AQA 'conflict' section, ,make sure you know at least one war, one psychological conflict (eg war Photographer) and one family conflict. You only need to know a few quotes for your revised poem. Learning off my heart isn't really very fruitful (although if it works for you, who am I to question?)

With the comparison the key is commenting on links between the two poems - don't write about poem one, then poem two separately afterwards. Examiners look for an integrated discussion: so for example:

" both poems project power and tyranny through the persona of the main character; Ozymandia's 'sneer of cold command' and 'frown' create an impression of cruelty and pride. This is similar to the Duke's revelation that he " gave commands", and the fact that he will "never stoop", thus elevating himself above all others, illustrating his hubris and vanity.

That's an example of how to integrate your discussion of your two poems.

With the Unseen poetry it's a bit of a mixed bag and the formats are different for all the boards. My advice is:
- make sure you explore a FEW language expressions in good detail rather than several briefly. It's much better to explore a metaphor in depth.
- think about the title of the poem and what its relevance could be.
-generally speaking I advise people to follow this structure for their unseen: section 1 - ideas and themes. Section 2 - language (this is the biggie). Section 3 - structure and rhyme. Is it single stanza or organised into verses and how might this affect the impact of the poem ? etc.

Anyway good luck all.
tiffinboys

Re: Lit Paper 2 - Poetry

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks, piggys
doodles

Post by doodles »

You are a star, thankyou
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
piggys

Post by piggys »

Pleasure :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Thanks again. DD has done her poetry but still has the unseen poetry to do.
Pinecone

Post by Pinecone »

Hi Piggys

Thank you for placing your tips on here; they were very helpful.

I was just wondering if you could give me your thoughts on the AQA literature paper today (assuming you have seen it).

I understand that some did ‘conflict’ and some did ‘love and relationships’.

Apparently the poem that came up for the ‘conflict’ section was the poem in the specimen paper so everyone (I assume) is likely to have studied the specimen paper and therefore have a very good understanding of how to analyse that poem.

The poem that came up on the ‘love and relationships’ section was one that apparantly no-one thought would come up and so, I am told, some teachers didn’t spend any time on it (probably because it is such an awful poem to write about and compare to other poems and it doesn’t have any metaphors etc).

If the above is correct, it would seem that those doing ‘conflict’ were at an advantage to those doing ‘love and relationships’ yet the latter have to score as highly to get the same grade. I could understand if they were different exams being marked differently but when it is the same exam with the same marking scheme and grade boundary, it seems a little unfair to give one lot the poem from the specimen paper and the other lot get the worst poem to write about.

I just wondered what you thought.

Thanks in anticipation.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Perhaps it was a different theme.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Would Love to hear from piggys. DC got stuck on poetry.
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

Dd compared to London (power) but forgot an important quote, and forgot to include information she knew. The stress of exams. :(

She said she had heard the poem in Love and Relationships was long, and had not been expected.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

DC attempted the Eng Lit today with Love and Relationship section.

Luckily for her, the teacher had gone through with today's exam choice - Singh song!

so DC was delighted and could compare, lots to analyse.

Her teacher had said ''If it was in the AQA anthology curriculum then it means that it can come up. No point overlooking a poem just because you dont like it.'' This has rung true for today.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now