Thinking about GCSE options/choices - PE/Economics advice?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hera

Re: Thinking about GCSE options/choices - PE/Economics advic

Post by Hera »

DS has just taken his GCSEs and took both History and Geography. He really didn't enjoy the Geography, but loved History. His advice to his sister when choosing her options, as she is about to go into year 10, was that he felt taking both History and Geography had been a mistake as they were both very heavy learning subjects;I think you mentioned that this is what your DS is considering doing if he takes Geography. He felt it is important to have one subject that is a bit different. For him that was computer science and for his sister it will be music. Every child is different, but that was his advice.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Hera wrote:DS has just taken his GCSEs and took both History and Geography. He really didn't enjoy the Geography, but loved History. His advice to his sister when choosing her options, as she is about to go into year 10, was that he felt taking both History and Geography had been a mistake as they were both very heavy learning subjects;I think you mentioned that this is what your DS is considering doing if he takes Geography. He felt it is important to have one subject that is a bit different. For him that was computer science and for his sister it will be music. Every child is different, but that was his advice.
And to illustrate your point that every child is different: both of my sons took History and Geography at GCSE and really enjoyed both. The older one took them both at A level too and had he been applying to university from Y13 would now be studying History at university (or actually he says he would have dropped out before going). History A level was a total slog and though he got a top grade he was glad to see the back of it. DS2 loved Geography GCSE and was put off History also, partly by his brother and partly by reading the spec; he is doing Geography A level. It really does depend on the child but both of my sons coped totally fine with both subjects at GCSE and neither had a 'bit different' subject either.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Both my dds did History and Geography at GCSE and dd2 did History and Geography at A level. (dd1 did History but not Geography). These are fantastic subjects and I recommend them highly.

Dd2 took GCSE PE. It is stuffed full of biology and very interesting. Economics GCSE is very closely linked to Geography and dd2 commented many times on how those who had done Economics were at an advantage when it came to certain topics.

We know someone who could have taken Economics at GCSE and A level and chose not to but then applied to Economics at Cambridge and got in. We also know someone who could have taken Geography at GCSE and A level and chose not to but then applied for Geography at Oxford and got in.

Had my dds had space I would have suggested Economics. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Well just to prove how different children are, my DS did neither History nor Geography. He just did not want to study the History era on offer and preferred GCSE Graphics instead of Geography.

There is no 'right' combination and students should choose subjects they enjoy rather than ones adults think might be 'useful'.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Thanks for all your help and thoughts everyone.
He has dropped the idea of Music and Economics, is definitely planning to do Geography and is now deciding between PE and RS. He'll decide after the parents' evening when we can chat to the PE staff about whether he'll need to do extra things or whether his sports can count.
Thank you for all the advice
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Just to add that DD sat Geography GCSE this summer (AQA spec A I think). There is a lot of content in this new GCSE (her teachers didn’t finish the spec, same with History, FWIW, but imagine they have got the planning in hand now) and the exam format was rather different to the sample papers put out. However, DD thoroughly enjoyed it and has just embarked on the A level. I can only echo what others have said in that to me the content seems fascinating, and very relevant to today. A level even more so.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now