GCSE English Language resit Nov 2018 + Further help Needed

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sonia

Re: GCSE English Language resit Nov 2018 + Further help Need

Post by Sonia »

Guest55 wrote:
Sonia wrote: On inquiry from the Exam officer, we found that DD is 2 marks away from Grade 6 in the English Lanhuage.
So decided and also paid £140 for Priority review and script return for both English Language papers.

We were told that we will get the scripts by email before Friday and for Prority review if marking it will take approx 10 days.
Priority is just for A levels where a university place depends on the result. this does not sound quite right to me.
There was a difference of £10 each script between Priority Review of Marking and Review of Marking, so we decided to go for Priority Review of marking as otherwise we have to wait for another 10days to have have the outcome of the review.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This flow chart: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/resu ... WCHART.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shows priority is only available for AQA A level.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

If WHS are sticking to their admissions policy for your daughter's chosen A level combination, taking money from you for reviewing the papers and possibly misleading you on the 'priority' charge (which as Guest55 points out, only applies to A levels), is it really the right school for your daughter? If DCHS is not a difficult journey for her to make, why not accept the place there?
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

+1 anotherdad
Given WHS slip downwards in A level results may be worth giving DCHS serious consideration?
Their A*-B was down 11% this year on last to 66%. DCHS was 77%.
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Extremely thankful for all the members for their reply

I just want to clarify that we made the decision to go for the Priority review of Marking for both the English Language Paper as the difference was of £10 per paper between the (Priority Review of Marking and Standard Review) WHS should tell us as pointed out by Guest55 that its for A level students.
Given WHS slip downwards in A level results may be worth giving DCHS serious consideration?
Their A*-B was down 11% this year on last to 66%. DCHS was 77%.
Mrs Chubbs very good analysis hopefully it will help us in the decision making.

All positive points are going towards DCHS except for the distance as compared to WHS.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

You are welcome Sonia. Distance is a tricky one isn’t it. You don’t want them to be too tired during A levels and of course there are friendship considerations too.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

It sounds as if you have a tricky decision. I agree that journey time and practicality is an important factor so if DCHS is a difficult journey I can see your concern. Friendships I would worry less about. I can only go by my own and my daughter's experience and that was that one's circle of friends at A level is often different to that at GCSE, so moving schools won't be a problem on that front, I'm sure.

I'd definitely be chasing WHS on the money side though. It's bad enough they charged you £15 a script in the first place, without adding an extra, unnecessary charge for something that doesn't exist.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Has your DD actually enrolled at DCHS? If not, how long will the schoo keep the place open?

Our local grammar schools expect confirmation of take up of conditional offers on results day, or at least within 24 hours. Anyone who meets the admission criteria can just turn up, but may not be able to take their first choice subject combination.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Thanks again MrsChubbs, Anotherdad, ToadMum
ToadMum wrote:Has your DD actually enrolled at DCHS? If not, how long will the schoo keep the place open?

Our local grammar schools expect confirmation of take up of conditional offers on results day, or at least within 24 hours. Anyone who meets the admission criteria can just turn up, but may not be able to take their first choice subject combination.
She has secured a place in DCHS, need to ring and reconfirm from both WHS and DCHS, how long noth the schools will keep the place open is case she dont go to either WHS or DCHS.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Sonia wrote:She has secured a place in DCHS, need to ring and reconfirm from both WHS and DCHS, how long noth the schools will keep the place open is case she dont go to either WHS or DCHS.
Do heed ToadMum's advice to ensure the offer can be held for that particular subject combination. It's more than just having a place, it's having three places, one for each subject. Maths, Chemistry, Biology is a popular combination so the timetable will work but they may also want to cap class sizes in each.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now