Short GCSE courses

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BucksBornNBred

Short GCSE courses

Post by BucksBornNBred »

The school has just told us that they are unable to teach a short RE GCSE course due to staffing issues and the allocated slot has been replaced with a study period. Overall does that sound like a good thing or a bad thing? It isn't DS's favourite subject so he is 'well pleased' but could it have helped with A Levels? I hear it is only a half GCSE but so confused going into the new stage!
Guest55

Re: Short GCSE courses

Post by Guest55 »

It sounds good but how are they going to cover the statutory teaching of RE? Presumably they can do homework in the lesson.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Both DD and DS had to do this. They didn’t mind doing the class work but resented revising for it. DD reckons hers was the last year to do this course, but I’m not sure if she is right or not.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:It sounds good but how are they going to cover the statutory teaching of RE? Presumably they can do homework in the lesson.
I think they can do homework in the lesson.. but now I am worried about statutory RE - this is year 10 so surely all of that is over?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Technically not .... although many schools are flouting the law.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/0 ... religious/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, ours did a short course GCSE because they had to teach it anyway, then they changed it to full course as they decided they only had to squeeze in one more lesson per fortnight.
scary mum
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ours dropped the GCSE which they used to take a year early and replaced it with the EPQ, which was far better, in my opinion, as it taught research skills, time management etc alongside everything else! (But they were still getting RE lessons, obviously!)
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS did the full course, they were all taught the short course and those that wanted to could attend a additional sessions to cover the rest of the course. From memory it was done over some lunchtimes and games (?) lessons.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
KB

Post by KB »

Some schools squeeze the statutory requirements into form periods.
A short course qualification wont make a difference to Uni applications and I wouldn't worry about it.
In your position I would be quite happy.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks for the replies - I will just go with the flow as your answers have settled my nerves. KB, you are right that we are pleased he doesn't have to do the GCSE if it doesn't make a difference to A levels/uni :)

It isn't clear how they will study RE but I think if it was in place of PE/Games he might just warm to the subject :lol: :roll:

Thank you for your quick responses.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now