GCSEs 2018 to 2020

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crazycrofter

Re: GCSEs 2018 to 2020

Post by crazycrofter »

Some kids just love Maths? I can’t see the harm if they’re coping with the workload. My dd has the choice but she’s decided against it. She’s not going to take Maths any further after GCSEs anyway so she’d rather just get one good grade.

I’m sure it’s easy enough to find an exam centre and enter as a private candidate. I’ve got home educating friends who have to do that for all their kids’ GCSEs.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Guest55 wrote:Why? The school are in the best position to judge the workload - how will you enter your child for the exam? What if it clashes with other papers? Universities don't look for this qualification ...
The answer to why is because he loves that subject and want to take a further additional Maths qualification. I know there are other thngs he could be doing in Maths like UKMT, which he already is at school and flourishing. He can sit it as an independent candidate, if school doesn't allow. Yes, I know universities don't look at it and he is happy with that. Only doing it for the love of subject.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All the research shows that acceleration and this sort of additional qualification does not help to develop good mathematicians. It's far better if they broaden their diet by non-exam content. I've spent years teaching mathematics and studying effective development of young mathematicians.

I can suggest a number of alternatives to additional GCSEs.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Guest55 wrote: I can suggest a number of alternatives to additional GCSEs.
Please do. He doesn't want to become a Mathematician as he loves another subject equally. Wants to further explore his love for Maths while he can and if he can gain an official qualification while doing so, I see no harm in that.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

MSD wrote:
quasimodo wrote:My youngest is also taking 10 GCSE's at WGHS which is what each girl does except those who may take an extra GCSE in maths.
I also have confirmation from DS that they take 10 GCSE's at CHB as opposed to 11 at KEFW and do start a year early. So, the little one will be starting this year. He too is keen on FSMQ but not sure if school would allow it - KEFW didn't. We might have to pursue it independently.
Hi MSD,

CHB offers FSMQ, which is great! The boys are not obliged to sit the exam if they prefer not to sit it, even though they have attended the course.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Thank you Jane - that's very helpful! Only yesterday I was asking DS to check with school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

MSD wrote:Please do. He doesn't want to become a Mathematician as he loves another subject equally. Wants to further explore his love for Maths while he can and if he can gain an official qualification while doing so, I see no harm in that.
It's absolutely pointless because you'll make him take the GCSE - it's instead of that path not as well as :roll:
MSD

Post by MSD »

Guest55 wrote: It's absolutely pointless because you'll make him take the GCSE - it's instead of that path not as well as :roll:
Why will I make him take it? It's absolutely his choice and I am supportive of it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

MSD wrote:Why will I make him take it? It's absolutely his choice and I am supportive of it.
The suggestions are instead of a pointless GCSE and I'm not falling for that comment :lol:
MSD

Post by MSD »

Guest55 wrote:I'm not falling for that comment :lol:
Now you have completely bamboozled me. You first make random and unreasonable assumptions that I will somehow force my DS to take FSMQ GCSE. When I try to be considerate enough to respond to your assumptions, which I really shouldn’t as there is zero substance to them, you tell me you are not buying into my response. No pleasing you G55 :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now