GCSEs 2019

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Crackerjax

Re: GCSEs 2019

Post by Crackerjax »

Guest55 wrote:Crackerjax - it's not when it's set, it's when is due in the next day that is the problem ...

It's usual to have homework every night.

She might need to negotiate as DS did when he was playing matches for the school ... and work was expected in the next day.

Funny enough, that's what she said last night when I got home from work ... not enough time to do it as all due this week!
I then found her about an hour later with a facemask on, wondering if the teachers will supply them for the 'stress' sports that have suddenly appeared ... I'm scared, if she's like this now - I dread to see what it will be like come A levels !!
SAK1983

Post by SAK1983 »

Hi all.
My eldest will be sitting the GCSEs this year, so all new to us. I joined this eleven plus forum when he was sitting for 11 plus. Time flies !
On Monday, the younger one will be sitting 11 plus. So all our concentration is on the younger oneat the moment, but I feel its now time to divert out attention . :lol:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I'm joining. Our first time too and two at once, one of my twins is schooled at home online and doing 8, so thats interesting as I'm his wingman, but have to control my inner Type A ("do more of this, listen more, make more notes, did you hear what he said there?"!!!!!)
The other at GS doing 11 and we hope, fairly self driven, but you just never know do you?

Ah well, in 5 years it won't matter - "Just a gateway" I keep telling myself and them!!

All the best to everyone
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DD was not predicted amazing results and to be fair her work didn’t really reflect what she actually achieved, but what she did do was start her revision early, and by early I mean October. I told her not to rush her revision for her mocks / trials / PPEs or whatever name they’re calling it this year. So she was well prepared for some and not so prepared for others. I didn’t want her making the same revision notes over and over again because she’d rushed them initially. It worked for her.

She also made a timetable but wrote down what she was actually revising so that she could see where she wasn’t doing that much work.
SAK1983

Post by SAK1983 »

How much time should they be allocating for revision if they start now, and how do you make them sit. My son would only do his homework on time and prepare for any class tests during the 40 minute bus journey (according to him).
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

SAK1983 wrote:How much time should they be allocating for revision if they start now, and how do you make them sit. My son would only do his homework on time and prepare for any class tests during the 40 minute bus journey (according to him).
With mocks so early in the year (November here too) its hard to know - I guess that it may be sensible to just revise all subjects but properly, with a view to the end goal of actual GCSEs but the mocks will be a measure of how DC does on the bits they've revised already???

Ours have asked for a regime of no computers or phones for fun until between 7 and 8 pm so it means that there is a good slew of time to do schoolwork. It doesn't have to be filled with school work at all (and it isn't) but it gives proper opportunity without the easy option of sitting browsing instagram for doing homework and hopefully revising, in time. But my feeling is if they go all out for it now, they will likely not be able to keep it up so I am still thinking most work will be post christmas.

For my boy at home, its enough that this year he is buckling down and working well and industrously in lessons (so far) and for bright kids, surely a lot goes in if they are working well and consciously? No distractions in class for him (except maybe the cat/dogs/gerbils/15 rounds of bacon/cereal/Penguin bars/coffee/tea - you get the idea!!)
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Hi everyone, its my first time too with DS, then another 4 children after that!

DS is calm, really trying his best bless him. Parents eve is early October. Im really annoyed that JHGS only allows us to see 7 subject tutors when the boys are studying 10 or more GCSE's. Its ridiculous, I'd like to see all of his subject tutors for feedback....anyway good luck to all the kids!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mamabear, can't you make appointments at another time if you need to see a teacher?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I can understand if they have to limit the numbers on the night of the parents evening, just to sheer volume but, as Guest says, they should offer the facility to see them at another time, by email or by telephone. That is the procedure in our school, if you want to speak to someone who cannot fit you on parents evening - it has worked well for us. If there is a particular issue with any of your subjects then that too should be dealt with out of the parents evening, so you have longer than around 5 minutes to discuss it.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Hi G55, yes I will do that, it seems so important to me that we hear feedback from all the subjects.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now