Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ad Maths
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:18 pm 

My DD (Y10) is doing “Ad Maths” as she calls it. Does Ad mean additional or advanced? What does Ad Maths entail? If the pupil is strong at Maths is it an efficient way of getting another qualification (GCSE?)

Many thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Ad Maths
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:21 pm 

'Ad' means additional - it's another GCSE. It's better to get high grades in fewer subjects so I'd ask the school why they are suggesting this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:05 pm 

Thanks

She loves Maths, as is likely to get a better grade in Ad Maths than other GCSEs. My understanding is that the school teaches the top set to Ad Maths level and then makes a decision nearer the time, depending on how the pupil is doing, whether to sit the exam(s). It’s all taught within the timetable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:19 pm 

A top grade in Maths GCSE will be of far more value than a grade in Add Maths. Other subjects are just as important as 'extra' GCSEs; many good schools are not taking this qualification these days.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:32 pm 

Thanks. I would have thought that studying Ad Maths would help her achieve a top grade in GCSE Maths. Your comment seems to suggest otherwise.

I think I should study the syllabuses (or is that syllabi?) and see how much additional content is in the Ad Maths compared to the GCSE.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:35 pm 

It is Add Maths btw - no the additional content does not help. They are two separate exams and possibly a danger that the exam might clash with other GCSEs..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:38 pm 

My sons school followed the same approach, and actually it worked for my son, however G55 is correct that higher is better than more...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:20 pm 

Ad maths has been dropped by the grammar schools my two attend even for the top sets.
I’m glad ( and so are my children).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:40 am 

DS did AQA Further Maths as an 11th. He didn't find it onerous, it gave him an additional GCSE and he feels it has stood him in good stead for Maths and Further Maths at A-Level. It was an entry requirement for further maths A-Level at his school, although they obviously had to consider external applicants who were not able to take it. However the "linked" girls school his sisters attend don't offer it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:42 am 

Hera wrote:
it gave him an additional GCSE and he feels it has stood him in good stead for Maths and Further Maths at A-Level

That is my understanding too. At DS2's grammar school they offer FSMQ to all students based on the performance in Maths Mock results in Year 11. So, effectively, students only have 4 months to prepare for this additional qualification and hence I take you point that it can't be onerous.