GCSE revision course/exam

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

piggys

Re: GCSE revision course/exam

Post by piggys »

Tinkers wrote:There’s also the risk that an external mock provider would use the same past papers as the school anyway, so completely negating the benefit.
This is very common in the so called 'crammer' colleges unfortunately. A lot of these places advertise Easter and Feb half term intensive courses in various GCSE subjects but they don't generate any of their own papers or resources, they merely use existing / sample papers which any decent school will have provided anyway. Plus they charge hundreds of ££££ :o

It's a bit 'extra' as the youth of today might say.
Mumdad

Post by Mumdad »

Thanks all for the valuable comments. I know school does arrange Mock/revision etc was just wondering if there is any external assessment out there as well!perhaps still clinging on to 11 plus mode.. :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

piggys wrote:
Tinkers wrote:There’s also the risk that an external mock provider would use the same past papers as the school anyway, so completely negating the benefit.
This is very common in the so called 'crammer' colleges unfortunately. A lot of these places advertise Easter and Feb half term intensive courses in various GCSE subjects but they don't generate any of their own papers or resources, they merely use existing / sample papers which any decent school will have provided anyway. Plus they charge hundreds of ££££ :o

It's a bit 'extra' as the youth of today might say.
Actually, I think ours would just use the good old-fashioned term, 'rip-off'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

ToadMum wrote: Actually, I think ours would just use the good old-fashioned term, 'rip-off'.
I think if I had suggested this, my three would have employed another old-fashioned term ending in 'off' .
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Last year my son's school provided endless past papers and sample questions as well as mocks, I think that's fairly common. Honestly I think if we'd added in extra mocks it would have been far too stressful for him. Particularly as they take so many exams at GCSE. It can be a stressful time. I know there's a temptation to try and get the best grades possible in every subject but realistically they need the grades required to move onto whatever they are doing next. My son didn't end up with 9/As across the board but more than enough for his chosen A levels. When we talked about it a few months later the grade he was most proud of was a B in a subject he found particularly hard, much more so than the top grades in his favoured subjects.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I did look into it when my DD was out of school and resitting some exams. At that time there were no providers that I could find who did them without the crammer courses.
scary mum