What will medicine look like in 20 years?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loobylou

Re: What will medicine look like in 20 years?

Post by loobylou »

stroudydad wrote:As someone who has a few health issues, I’ve been interested in this post.. and actually, now I am just sad...
LL can I ask how the treatment of HA/stroke have changed??
So when I worked in hospitals heart attacks were treated with thrombolytic drugs. Never done now - it's straight to angiography and stenting. (My juniors are :shock: when we point out we're not really very old!) Strokes weren't "treated" at all in my day (all about secondary prevention) but now they are treated with thrombolytic drugs. These things are better and significantly improving survival - definitely improving things for individuals but I'm not sure it's the huge systemic change Eccentric was referring to in her original post.
And Amber, totally agree that this government is going to follow a US model and is probably not sleep walking but deliberately heading towards to the cliff. I might not come across like that here but I'm known as one of the more optimistic of my profession; I keep thinking someone will see sense :lol:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

loobylou wrote:
stroudydad wrote:As someone who has a few health issues, I’ve been interested in this post.. and actually, now I am just sad...
LL can I ask how the treatment of HA/stroke have changed??
So when I worked in hospitals heart attacks were treated with thrombolytic drugs. Never done now - it's straight to angiography and stenting. (My juniors are :shock: when we point out we're not really very old!) Strokes weren't "treated" at all in my day (all about secondary prevention) but now they are treated with thrombolytic drugs. These things are better and significantly improving survival - definitely improving things for individuals but I'm not sure it's the huge systemic change Eccentric was referring to in her original post.
And Amber, totally agree that this government is going to follow a US model and is probably not sleep walking but deliberately heading towards to the cliff. I might not come across like that here but I'm known as one of the more optimistic of my profession; I keep thinking someone will see sense :lol:
Thanks Looby:-)
It’s no secret but I suffer from pAF so stroke is always a consideration. Having said that drugs are not controlling it as well now so surgery may be on the not too distant horizon. Who knows, I may even end up with one of those American devices eventually..
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I'm resurrecting this thread because I think this article is very pertinent. It's from the US but as sheet discussed, we're going the same way and I think many of the issues in this article resonate with many UK doctors.
https://www.statnews.com/2018/07/26/phy ... al-injury/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

loobylou wrote:I'm resurrecting this thread because I think this article is very pertinent. It's from the US but as sheet discussed, we're going the same way and I think many of the issues in this article resonate with many UK doctors.
https://www.statnews.com/2018/07/26/phy ... al-injury/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:cry:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now