Physics and Maths A levels

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: Physics and Maths A levels

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Commitment to care at grass roots level over an extended period s all universities care about - “observing daddies consultant friend” type stuff is to be avoided!
She does not have to do BMAT and UKCAT - you can only apply to 4 courses so you can choose one or the other - the BMAT will not be a strength for her as it is essay based. She will probably cope better with the UKCAT as a dyslexic and still have loads of university options - that is one of the good things as both tests are so different.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Just a quick note of warning although it sounds as though you've been given the go-ahead... I've been trying to help dd's best friend to organise work experience and have contacted the consultants I know at that hospital and they cannot offer anything unless it's been agreed via the work experience team at the hospital. Even their own relatives have had to go via the same route. Just check that your contacts don't think that they can organise it themselves only to discover that there are lots of hoops to jump through. (Different hospitals may of course be different).
doodles

Post by doodles »

Eccentric wrote:Does anyone know how much work is involved in doing Physics and maths A levels together? My daughter seems to think that because of the Maths component in the Physics A level this will reduce the work load. She is still undecided about which A level to take as a 4th and yes she has decided absolutely that she wants to take 4 and I am now with her on this having heard that a friends daughter didn't have enough UCAS points to apply to her chosen veterinary science course despite getting A*AA because she hadn't taken 4 and having spoken to someone who is responsible for intake at Barts it seems that yes 3 is the requirement but a large proportion of students that get in have 4 or 5.

The other possible option that she is exploring is Psychology.
This is master doodles answer to the original question he is doing FM, maths, physics and chemistry.

He says it will depend on the exam board however it is very likely that the will be overlaps between Maths and physics. He says that so far (1st term yr 12) there has been a lot of overlap in the two subjects and this has helped him considerably with the transition into 6th form. If you do A level maths you shouldn't find the maths component of the physics a problem and it's worth bearing in mind that there's far more maths in the A level physics than in the GCSE course. Whilst you are still doing 4 A levels and there will be the corresponding workload of doing 4 subjects the links between the two subjects does help and make it easier to manage.

My rider to his answer is that this is obviously his personal opinion and he does love both subjects so there is an enjoyment factor involved for him. Not sure if this helps at all :?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

This thread is in answer to a question as shown below:
Eccentric wrote:Does anyone know how much work is involved in doing Physics and maths A levels together?
. Posts that are not answering the question are off topic. Please play nicely, stick to the point.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

loobylou wrote:Just a quick note of warning although it sounds as though you've been given the go-ahead... I've been trying to help dd's best friend to organise work experience and have contacted the consultants I know at that hospital and they cannot offer anything unless it's been agreed via the work experience team at the hospital. Even their own relatives have had to go via the same route. Just check that your contacts don't think that they can organise it themselves only to discover that there are lots of hoops to jump through. (Different hospitals may of course be different).
I will do doodles. Thank you for the tip. It sounds like a very wise one.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Eccentric wrote:
loobylou wrote:Just a quick note of warning although it sounds as though you've been given the go-ahead... I've been trying to help dd's best friend to organise work experience and have contacted the consultants I know at that hospital and they cannot offer anything unless it's been agreed via the work experience team at the hospital. Even their own relatives have had to go via the same route. Just check that your contacts don't think that they can organise it themselves only to discover that there are lots of hoops to jump through. (Different hospitals may of course be different).
I will do doodles. Thank you for the tip. It sounds like a very wise one.

I can't claim that advice Eccentric, it was loobylou. I will however take the credit for master doodles thoughts further up thread. :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

For some reason my post didn’t go through. I had posted. A huge thank you to Master Doodles for taking the time to offer his experience. Miss Eccentric found it very helpful. Thank you too to Mrs Doodles for asking him :D
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

And thank you to Looby loo for the sensible observations.

I am going to start a new thread on why posts don’t post sometimes.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Eccentric wrote:And thank you to Looby loo for the sensible observations.

I am going to start a new thread on why posts don’t post sometimes.
I can't see it.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I have been having trouble and get an error message when I have tried to post the new post too (from my iPad) I am now using my computer so here's hoping.