Help to improve English predicted grade

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kal12003

Help to improve English predicted grade

Post by kal12003 »

Dd' s report yesterday flagged up that her English needs some work. The comments from her teacher suggested reading more & visiting the BBC bitesize website for puncuation/spelling rules etc.
1. Are there any particular books or texts that would be useful, DD rarely reads aside from in school.
2. Dd's school use edexcel for their exam board, I have googled but can only find sample papers from 2015. Are any available that are on par with the new 9-1 gcses?
3. On another thread someone recommended searching resources that "piggys" suggested in the gcse forum however despite trailing through the 2018 gcse thread I have been unsuccessful in finding these. Can anyone recommend any resources that I can use to help DD improve?
Thank you in advance
Guest55

Re: Help to improve English predicted grade

Post by Guest55 »

Is this Language or Literature?

Did you find these pages: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/q ... -2015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/q ... -2015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

For both Language and Literature.
Thank you, I have been on that website this morning but missed the sample materials in the link you have provided. That is really useful thank you
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The June 2017 and November 2017 papers are also there unlocked. More recent papers are only available to teachers.
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

Guest55 wrote:The June 2017 and November 2017 papers are also there unlocked. More recent papers are only available to teachers.
I did notice some of the papers required a login, Do you know if these will become unlocked over time? I will get started with the 2017 ones for now, thank you
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes they will be sometime next year - I'd start with the sample papers before the 'real ones'.

It might be worth sending piggys a PM for expert help :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Angus McIver's New First Aid in English?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

ToadMum wrote:Angus McIver's New First Aid in English?
Have not heard of this before but will check it out now, much appreciated thank you.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Did she ever read? Did she give it up for social media or was enjoying reading not something that she did?

Her writing will improve as well as her comprehension if she reads more.

It does not have to be books, it can be newspaper articles and journals. DG
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

Daogroupie wrote:Did she ever read? Did she give it up for social media or was enjoying reading not something that she did?

Her writing will improve as well as her comprehension if she reads more.

It does not have to be books, it can be newspaper articles and journals. DG

She's never really read any books that would challenge her. I think she doesn't have the attention span to be glued to a book and of course social media, phones etc play their part in a welcome alternative. The most shes read of late are along the lines of the Tom gates books which even my 11year old has outgrown years ago. I have told her that from next weekend we are starting "book club" so I expect her phone & tablet to go away for an hour and for us both to read & discuss the books. Not sure if this will encourage her or not but I need to try something.
I may re subscribe to a newspaper as she used to enjoy first news & the week. It's so difficult when she seems to not have any form of enjoyment when it comes to reading at the moment.