Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sonia

GCSE English Language resit Nov 2018 + Further help Needed

Post by Sonia »

Dear All Forum Members,

DD got Grade 5 in her English Language from WHS

Got a place in Dr Challoners in Maths/Chemistry/Biology 8/7/7

WHS is not offering her a place in desired subjects :( as her total score should be >=56 and she has scored 53 points

We are completely confused :( and have sent a request WHS head teacher to allow her admission in her preferred subjects in WHS.

She is planning to resit English language in November 2018 to improve her grade.

Please can someone suggest me

1) Is it worth going for a priority remark with script return for Englaish Language both papers (£70+£70 =£140). Tomorrow is last date for that and we even dont know her raw marks in both English Language papers. DD emailed her teacher and received a reply that wait for school to open and you can check the marks from the Head of Key Stage Four.

2) Are there any chances that will accept her in Maths, Chemistry , Biology after the request to Head teacher.

3) Please can someone list secondary schools / instititions who offer resits in November 2018 for English Lnaguage as private candidates in the bucks county.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for a long message :( :( :(
Amber

Re: GCSE English Language resit Nov 2018 + Further help Need

Post by Amber »

I am not sure what you are asking really - she has a place at Dr Challoners? Is that not what you wanted?

You say you are 'completely confused' by the refusal of WHS to take her, but she did not get enough points for a place. I don't think anyone here can tell you what the Head Teacher will say, but it is worth an email. In terms of the priority remark, I imagine once you see how close to a grade boundary she is, you will be able to take a more informed decision. If she were to get the grade increased, would that then give her the 56 points needed? You haven't said what each grade is worth in this particular system.

I am sorry you are so upset and hope you manage to find a solution.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I imagine WHS ask for 56 points out of the best 8 GCSEs, usually with each GCSEs grade (which is now points) equating to its actual points? So it sounds as if, despite the OPs dd scoring good grades in the subjects she wants to do at A level, she has not been offered a place due to the total score of the top 8 GCSEs not making 56. Or do WHS also require a certain grade in Maths/English too, regardless of whether you intend to take those subjects at A level.

You have nothing to lose asking the Head to reconsider if you get a remark and it goes up, remember it could also go down, however. But, you would still be needing her to go up 3 grades to an 8 to make 56 points, if she is currently on a 5 for English and, whilst poor marking in GCSEs does happen, that is a very big ask...and on balance is unlikely.

The good news is she does have a place at Dr Challoners though.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Priority remarks are for students whose university place depends on them getting certain grades.

I think she's got a place in a better school so why are you worrying? Why is she resitting a grade 5? Any resit will need to be declared on UCAS so make sure this will be acceptable for the university and course she's looking at.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

It sounds as though the OP's DD was already at WHS and presumably would rather not move schools - maybe WHS is very close to them and reduces the commute/cost?
OP, I suppose it depends on whether WHS's policy is set in stone or whether they ever make exceptions. If they make exceptions then it seems unfair not to give your dd a place. If they never make exceptions then she will probably have to accept that she move schools.
If she is desperate to stay then remarking is probably your best bet (though I appreciate that must be a difficult choice not knowing the marks).
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

As above really. Why did you apply for a place at DCHS if you don't want her to go there?
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Thanks everyone for replying back.

DD took her GCSEs from Wycombe High School and scored an overall 53 points (best 8 GCSEs), Unfortunately she got 5 in English Language,

To study Chemistry , Biology, Maths at Wycombe High School she need to to have at least grade 7 in the subjects and the total points should be greater than 56 ( best 8 GCSEs), We have sent a request and will wait for the outcome before September 4,

She secured a place at Dr Challoners High Girls in her preferred subjects ( Chemistry, Biology, Maths) as her own school is not offering her place in her preferred subjects.

She is planning to resit as most most universities after A levels need Grade 6 in English Language so

Please can someone list secondary schools / institutions who offer resits in November 2018 for English Language as private candidates in the bucks county as Wycombe High School don't offer resit.

WHS is open tomorrow and we visit the school to clarify few things and apply for the remark of English Language and also apply for copy of scrips for few other subjects.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which board? The exam board websites should have lists of centres able to accept Private candidates. Can she sit it at DCHS? If not then it might be worth asking local Uppers?
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Guest55 wrote:Which board? The exam board websites should have lists of centres able to accept Private candidates. Can she sit it at DCHS? If not then it might be worthShe wants asking local Uppers?
Edexcel GCSE Language (9-1)

She can resit in DCHS in June 2019, but wants to resit November 2018

Thanks again Guest55
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If she did Edexcel they can download for FREE a copy of her papers and review them in the school. If they think there's been an error then go for a review of marking.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now