Extended Level 3 BTEC

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Blue_Marigold

Extended Level 3 BTEC

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows about Extended level 3 BTECS? Apparently they are worth the same as 3 Alevels and universities (at least the ones that my DD might be interested in) do accept BTECS as an entry requirements but you have to get DMM to get in. The same course accepts BBC from three Alevel grades.

I feel like the BTEC would give DD more hands on experience and help her to get an entry level job more easily than if she does Alevels. If she did Alevels, she wouldn’t have the experience as the qualifications are more academic.

But my husband says that Alevels are more widely accepted and it would be easier to get a job with an Alevel in many different fields as doing just a one subject BTEC would limit her future careers to the thing she did her BTEC in. e.g if she did a Extended level 3 BTEC in Health and Social care, she would only be able to get health and social care jobs and may not get an entry level admin job.

I can’t be the only parent thinking about this so was wondering if people who have older children have any experience of this.

Thanks,

BM x
MrsChubbs

Re: Extended Level 3 BTEC

Post by MrsChubbs »

From my experience of Btec in school and personally I believe they can be an excellent course to study if delivered/taught well. This is based on personal experience as my DD is currently in possession of 5 unconditional offers from Unis having done one year of Btec extended diploma study. She has an excellent portfolio of work which the Unis asked to see at interview and by submitting online producing during year 1. They were also able to see the level she is working at as she had a year of assignment grades under her belt. The courses are excellent for hardworking students who have to learn to organise their work, plan projects with timelines and hit deadlines throughout the year. For many students it is a better preparation for uni style studying and the world of work. They frequently cover other soft skills like team work exercises, and cv building activities. My DD has been offered a number of entry level jobs through networking and work experience already. As far as restricting their opportunities later, it wasn’t an issue for my DD as she was lucky enough to find her passion (visual effects and animation) quite early.
On a wider basis getting a distinction in these qualifications is not an easy option. It involves a lot of hard work for 2 years and in depth analysis.
If you are concerned that doing the extended diploma might be too restricting at this stage, why not consider the certificate (1 A level equiv) or the diploma (2 A level equiv) if it is available? Other health warning, do lots of research and talking to the place she will be going to study. Not all sixth forms and colleges deliver these courses well.
Good luck.
Mrs C
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now