GCSE Maths - approaching the school for additional support

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kal12003

GCSE Maths - approaching the school for additional support

Post by kal12003 »

Dd1 is currently year 10. It's been clear via reports over the last year that her Maths is not where it should be. She is lower set & currently predicted a 4 :shock:
We have been doing the 5aday Corbett maths at home to try and help as suggested at parents evening.
I am thinking of emailing the school and asking them to put some form of additional support in place however I'm not sure if this is the done thing! At parents evening I raised concerns to one of her maths teachers who said she is capable of at least a 5 maybe 6 but reports contradict this.
Any advise on how best to approach this would be very much appreciated
Thank you
kenyancowgirl

Re: GCSE Maths - approaching the school for additional suppo

Post by kenyancowgirl »

In my experience, if the student goes and approaches the member of staff and asks if they would be willing to give an extra push at lunchtime or after school, most teachers want to try and help. (You could always email the member of staff in advance, to give them the heads up!)

It is in the schools interest to try and support your daughter to improve - as long as she is willing to put the work in also, they should be happy to do it.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’d agree with KCG, most teachers are prepared to put the effort in to help students if the students are showing the desire to be helped and prepared to put the effort in themselves.

If this particular teacher isn’t one of them, maybe ask the head of maths.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

If you look further down this page you should find a post about maths resources by Guest55 (sorry I am rubbish at copying links). You might find some of them useful.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There are some useful maths resources here, which may be what MrsChubbs was referring to (they were updated recently).
scary mum
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

Thank you for the replies. Have drafted an email and Dd will speak to her teacher also. I will have a look at those resources now thank you.
russet

Post by russet »

I can recommend CGP or Letts revision guide and workbook. I used these to teach dd maths when I was home educating and found them fairly easy to follow. I then turned to Khan Academy videos for the bits we were having difficulty understanding.

The more your dd practises maths by doing questions, the better she will get and the CGP or Letts guides are great for this.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Also it's worth noting the sticky at the top of the Maths forum includes a Secondary section with GCSE revision resources and is not just 11+.

Edited to add - I see the link was already added up thread! Silly me for not double checking.I have also just found the sticky repeated very usefully at the top of the Beyond 11+ General section as well. Good to know. Must go get myself a coffee to improve alertness :D