Mental health around exam times.

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eccentric

Mental health around exam times.

Post by Eccentric »

Firstly I wondered if anyone else with DC about to take GCSE's or A levels or any other exam has noticed a nose dive in their mental health. My normally very balanced Dd is really very stressed and she keeps talking about all sorts of issues her friends are having.
Secondly, I thought it would be nice to share ideas around helping to keep mental health good around this time.

Some examples of things that I have been doing my best to implement without being too forceful are:

Exercise particularly cardio/running
Keeping all of our diets as health as poss so Dd doesn't think this is aimed at her
Outdoor time/walks
Making sure enough sleep is obtained for all of us to keep stress down
Ensuring frequent breaks are taken
Organising time for Dd with her friends (she won't do it at the moment nor will they but it is good for them to chill).
Putting meditation music on for my self.
Making sure I am as available as possible.

Ideas would be hugely welcomed.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Mental health around exam times.

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm not even sure DS2 is yet aware that his GCSEs are coming up - he is happily spending time on the playstation, his phone, watching TV, with very little obvious revision going on although he vehemently complains that he is still getting homework so how on earth is he supposed to revise...

We have rather a lot of stuff going on at home currently though so there are real distractions to everything so I don't think he feels the focus is "all about GCSEs" at all - I suppose that would be my idea - don't actually change everything/anything so that you don't add to any stress they are feeling - keep consistent and supportive - make sure there are naughty and nice snacks in the house - make sure they continue with any sport/extra curricular activities and know that this too shall pass. The sooner they learn to deal with their own stress, the better equipped they will be for A levels and beyond as it genuinely only gets worse.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, my advice would be to keep everything as normal as possible without referring to the exams too much. A little bit of adrenaline is good, an excess is not. Be available for TLC when needed and provide cups of tea & cake! Encourage them to carry on with their usual activities (no way mine would have stopped & I don't think they should, unless other activities really are excessive & likely to interfere).
scary mum
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Yes I agree trying to keep it all as normal as possible and keeping normal activities going. A couple of DDs friends are beginning to get very stressed indeed. One of them did very badly in her mocks and is fearful that she may not be able to stay at the school if her grades don't improve substantially and another (who is at a different school) constantly phones to talk about her problems. I have been known of late to turn the ringer off on the house phone which is where she calls because Dd doesn't answer her mobile. :roll:

I wish Dd was as laid back as your Ds KCG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now