Sticky threads for novice GCSE parents

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Moonsun

Sticky threads for novice GCSE parents

Post by Moonsun »

Can the moderators please do sticky threads-- I think that's what they are called for resources for maths , English etc just as there are a few in the 11 plus one to help novice parents .

Would be very useful

Thanks
mitasol

Re: Sticky threads for novice GCSE parents

Post by mitasol »

You can find find some GCSE maths resources here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 54&t=56736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

+1 please!

There are some helpful maths & science ones I keep coming back to!
Moonsun wrote:Can the moderators please do sticky threads-- I think that's what they are called for resources for maths , English etc just as there are a few in the 11 plus one to help novice parents .

Would be very useful

Thanks
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

yes please. That would be immensely helpful. DD is finishing year 10 and I am still rather clueless. In a way, I feel content that she can manouver her way around this and I can just stick to making nice food, and some tender, loving, care but I keep getting haunted by the feeling that I should have an overview on what is expected of her and where she is at in terms of preparation etc :(
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

wildwest wrote:yes please. That would be immensely helpful. DD is finishing year 10 and I am still rather clueless. In a way, I feel content that she can manouver her way around this and I can just stick to making nice food, and some tender, loving, care but I keep getting haunted by the feeling that I should have an overview on what is expected of her and where she is at in terms of preparation etc :(
For an overview of what is expected of her the course specification can be found on the examining board's website :) . As to 'where she's at', presumably your DD can tell you this?

The BBC Bitesize site is quite good for 'quick prompt' revision and subject areas are subdivided by exam board.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

thanks Toadmum!

I will begin from 'Examining Board'. It would be good to have a thread for us, 2020 parents. I noted that some of these started off and quickly changed direction and abruptly ended :wink:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If someone would like to gather the threads into one post with links in them, I am happy to make it into a sticky, and tidy the links up a bit. I'm not sure the (volunteer) mods have much time to attend to GCSEs, although we are more than happy to have helpful & supportive threads about them. Our attention is primarily the 11 plus, which takes up quite a lot of our time :)
scary mum
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

sure. I appreciate, it is a lot of work.

Parents of current GCSE cohort, would you be willing to help with this too, as you have the right information, please?

2020 parents, are any of you keen to join in?