Very sad article

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Very sad article

Post by loobylou »

This is in the TES and I assume it's true. I didn't know the details of what would/would not be permitted. It's very sad.
https://www.tes.com/news/gcse-english-f ... umiliation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Re: Very sad article

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The invigilator is correct - the English reading paper assess their reading, so if they cannot read, they cannot do the paper. It is an utter joke for them and I come across "Noah's" every year....heartbreaking - there must be another way - even if it means they lose 25% - I know so many students who get extra time on really spurious reasons and can actually cope very well - why can't this be sorted? English Language is one of the GCSEs that is required for so many things...
Last edited by kenyancowgirl on Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anonymparent

Post by anonymparent »

Heartbreaking.. and so unfair..
If exam boards appreciates that such students can't read and are allowed the invigilator to read the questions and instructions for other papers, why can't they appreciate that there is a reason why they can't read and allow either the invigilator to read or use some form of audio?

Is reading only about being able to read?
solimum

Post by solimum »

My school has been gradually introducing electronic reading pens which ARE allowed for the reading paper. So far most of the pupils who are entitled to use them at GCSE (and have them ready-charged on their desks) haven't done so : however I did have one pupil a couple of years ago who certainly benefited ( Severe dyslexia coupled with EAL - however she did need a lot of one-to-one support in using it, as they are quite tricky to use smoothly and tend to misread, which pupils with literacy/ vocab difficulties struggle with anyway). However they are introducing them further down the school so subsequent cohorts should have got better used to them.

IMO there is certainly a place for better use of various electronic aids in assessment of understanding of language/literature (text-to-speech instead of physical scribes would be another useful one!) which would reflect the way that (for example) some people with a visual impairment of necessity access the written word online. But the other issue I have observed is that many of the SEN pupils who struggle with physically deciphering the written word also have very limited vocabulary so find the comprehension aspects tricky too, whether with a human reader or electronic.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes, Solimum, you may have noted that I had already edited my comment to reflect that reading lens can be used. As a school we have about 20 that are in use - this is the third year we have had them - and the senco is trying to use these instead of readers, lower down the school.

As an invigilator I have noted that whilst more are entitled to them, less use them than accessed an actual reader - so having the pen almost double penalises them in that respect. It is such a shame.
solimum

Post by solimum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
As an invigilator I have noted that whilst more are entitled to them, less use them than accessed an actual reader - so having the pen almost double penalises them in that respect. It is such a shame.
Yes most of the pens remained completely unused in any of the exams I was supervising this summer ...