GCSE 2020

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Re: GCSE 2020

Post by tiffinboys »

Yes, not easy task. Not between solid A and scrapping 6 ones. It’s between students who are all solid A ones. Ranking them would be very subjective and prone to errors.

Hopefully for results, schools would be able to issue results electronically, rather than asking students to personally collect one.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Of course ranking could be like 11+ though - you might have 4 students who you predict A*, the 5th student you predict at A. The first 4 could be ranked “1”, the 5 th student would be ranked “5”. I haven’t yet seen the detail to staff about how exactly it will pan out. However, with all the evidence most schools will have at their disposal (eg every bit of homework, class tests etc) teachers should be able to deal with any nuances.

Whether parents will, remains to be seen.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

More importantly, whether students will?
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
test1

Post by test1 »

would be interesting to see how many students go for the autumn exam or next year. Not easy to be in touch with the syllabus that long and can easily become rustic. Not sure how they are going to appeal unless it is a significant and obvious error.

GCSE students continuing to A-levels may be better off to put all this behind them and focus on AS / A -levels.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

test1 wrote:would be interesting to see how many students go for the autumn exam or next year. Not easy to be in touch with the syllabus that long and can easily become rustic. Not sure how they are going to appeal unless it is a significant and obvious error.

GCSE students continuing to A-levels may be better off to put all this behind them and focus on AS / A -levels.
Maybe, being out of the tractor beam of results driven study, some motivated pupiks may flourish.

Back in the mists of time, when studying for my O levels, our English Lit poetry was hardly ever there(headteacher who still wanted to ‘keep her hand in’) I read Dylan Thomas, just for the sheer love of his words, once I had completed the sketchy work she set.

I’ve forgotten most of the other stuff, but Dylan Thomas has stayed with me for ever. I also managed to answer a question on the paper using my own knowledge.
Pin17

Post by Pin17 »

My DD, currently in Y10, should have sat a foreign Language GCSE as a individual candidate in a recognised Centre/School in North London that offers this language.
She has worked so hard to prepare the examms at her best with a qualified private tutor since July 2019 - (2h lesson every week via Skype).

- Not sure if she could be evaluated considering that she did these tutoring lessons online.
- The Pearson Centre in North London gave 10th of April as a deadline for a refund request.
- The tutor confirms she could get a really high grade

Not sure what is the best solution for us. If we ask for a refund for the exams we have to apply again for it next year, keep going with her tutoring lessons and this is financially too much for our family at the moment.

Really confusing :(
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Would the centre be happy to accept the tutor's grade based on the work she has done?
Hera

Post by Hera »

My DD, currently in Y10, should have sat a foreign Language GCSE as a individual candidate in a recognised Centre/School in North London that offers this language.
In the latest update they have said that grades will only be issued to year 11 and year 13 students as these are the ones most impacted by the situation.
Pin17

Post by Pin17 »

Hera wrote:
In the latest update they have said that grades will only be issued to year 11 and year 13 students as these are the ones most impacted by the situation.
Many thanks for your replies, I need to contact the Centre tomorrow but from what is mentioned here seems also that Individual Candidate could be evaluated in Autumn? In this case is better do not ask for a refund for what we have already paid for this GCSE, am I wrong?

"10. What about private candidates or home educated students?
Where schools and colleges have accepted entries from external candidates (students who they have not taught themselves, because they have been home-schooled, following distance-learning programmes or studying independently), those students should be taken account of in the process of producing centre assessment grades, where the head teacher or principal is confident that they and their staff have seen sufficient evidence of the student’s achievement to make an objective judgement.

Ofqual is also exploring urgently whether there are options for those students who do not have an existing relationship with an exams centre and who need results this summer for progression purposes, and will provide an update as soon as possible. Unfortunately, this is unlikely to be possible for all external candidates, some of whom may instead need to take exams in the autumn to get their grades.

Ofqual has asked organisations that represent higher and further education providers to consider the steps that providers could take when making admissions decisions this summer for any private candidates who do not receive a grade. They have said that they believe that institutions will consider a range of other evidence and information for these students to allow them to progress wherever possible."

Thanks
test1

Post by test1 »

Pin17 wrote:My DD, currently in Y10, should have sat a foreign Language GCSE as a individual candidate in a recognised Centre/School in North London that offers this language.
guidance for teachers, students, parents
How will these affect early entrants?
We propose that exam boards will not issue grades for students in year 10 or below (unless students have been officially moved up a school year), but we will shortly consult on this proposal. We realise that, if the final decision is to exclude year 10 and below students, this will be disappointing for those students, but our objective in awarding grades based on school and college judgements is primarily to allow students to progress to the next stage of their education, or to employment or training. Students in year 10 and below will have the opportunity to sit exams in future exam series. We will make a final decision and provide further information before any data needs to be submitted to the exam boards.

What about exam fees this year? Will there be a cost
for students taking exams in the autumn?
Fees for exams are set by the exam boards. They will share further information on fees for awarding grades this summer, and for the optional autumn exam series in due course. Fees are payable by centres for students enrolled in school or college. External/private candidates pay their own fees, and should enquire with the relevant board about these.