Revision cards

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Gcse69

Revision cards

Post by Gcse69 »

Hi all!

I guess this a question for any experienced GCSE parents out there.

I understand that revision cards are a great way of making learning stick. I also notice that there seem to be plenty of 'ready made' revision card packs flooding the market from CGP and the like, especially for the Sciences, Eng Lit etc.

Can someone advise if these paid for cards are just as effective as making them yourself or does the learning 'magic' happen in the (I can imagine huge amount of) time it takes writing notes and creating these cards?!

Just wondering if it's better for my child to make their own or for me to buy these ready made cards?
Many thanks!
salsa

Re: Revision cards

Post by salsa »

My son found his own cards to be very effective. You need to read the topic, come up with a question and then answer it on the back. That in itself was a way of revising and/or learning.
Near the exam, I sat with his cards and tested him. We could go out and do this in places such as the park, a cafe, etc. Just to change venue as he was truly sick of revising. Admittedly, he left all this to year 11 and it was hard work doing them and revising with them. He’s vowed to produce them as he goes along in the 6th form. Let’s hope!
He has also given his cards to my younger son, but I’m not sure if they would be as effective as coming out with the questions is part of the exercise.

I didn’t realise there were professionally made ones, but I have seen some in Quizlet for language learning. My youngest used Quizlet to produce some science revision cards as he found it easier to revise on his phone.

Salsa
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think making them is revision in itself, so buying ones means they miss out on that.

Making them also allows them to concentrate on the difficult areas if needed.

DD used quizlet for a few things too. Several of her friends did and they shared them to give some different perspectives.
Gcse69

Post by Gcse69 »

Thanks. Most helpful
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Definitely don't buy them - it is the physical writing down the bullet points, as you are reading from your notes that helps the revisions - ie you read it and it goes in your mind and you write it and it goes in your mind - and they are YOUR bullet points - how you remember the page of notes in your book.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now