GCSE Spanish or French

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bubbles123

GCSE Spanish or French

Post by bubbles123 »

Hi, my daughter is very torn between French or Spanish GCSE. Her French is ok; she has learnt a lot more in Spanish. Strangely, her French marks are much better than her Spanish marks. She feels as if in Year 10 Spanish, she will be given significantly more support compared to the French Dept. Hence she is quite confused as to which GCSE Language she should take.
Any thoughts please would be much appreciated.
kenyancowgirl

Re: GCSE Spanish or French

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Honestly, I probably wouldn’t overthink it too much. GCSE in an MFL is only ever pretty basic. Most children have done more French by the time they start secondary - as Spanish is still often introduced later - but somehow Spanish can be easier to pick up at the beginning. Unless she has a burning desire to take languages longer term, neither is likely to give her an advantage or disadvantage.

If she feels more will take French then she might perceive she would get more support in Spanish, but I would always advise not to choose a subject based on a teacher, as they may well change.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Honestly, I probably wouldn’t overthink it too much. GCSE in an MFL is only ever pretty basic. Most children have done more French by the time they start secondary - as Spanish is still often introduced later - but somehow Spanish can be easier to pick up at the beginning. Unless she has a burning desire to take languages longer term, neither is likely to give her an advantage or disadvantage.

If she feels more will take French then she might perceive she would get more support in Spanish, but I would always advise not to choose a subject based on a teacher, as they may well change.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

bubbles123

Post by bubbles123 »

Thank you
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Not entirely sure why my comment came up 4 times?!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now