Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:40 pm 

I am not an English native speaker but my husband is and my children were born here and went to English schools. My son's mock results were all over the place for English, a 9 for English lit and a 6 for English lang. That sounds a bit weird to me, can someone explain succinctly the difference between the 2 exams and why is English language more difficult (to him) and how we can help? x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:26 pm 

English Lit they study literature - the themes characters etc can be pre learned. Language includes things like writing to inform, debate etc and requires an understanding of nuances etc that can be missed (especially if not native speakers).

This is in a nutshell as I’m on my phone in a field! Language does tend to challenge boys slightly more (generalising a bit) as Literature can be a bit formulaic at GCSE. It is generally Language GCSAe that firms part of any university entry requirements (if they have specific gcse requirements.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:43 pm 

thanks, that makes sense, my son is pretty monosyllabic, grunts even and likes maths and physics. Not sure how to help him for his English language. Let's see what his English teacher recommends at parents' evening next week.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:42 pm 

Have a look at the spec for each, the sample papers and the mark schemes of the two on the relevant exam board(s) website(s).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:51 pm 

My daughter found Mr Bruff videos on Youtube very helpful, if he is doing the AQA exam. He also sells pdf books you can download, which include the info on his videos plus a bit extra.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:59 pm 

Eng Lang also has something like 20 marks awarded for spelling and grammar - whereas in Eng Lit this is not marked as such.

My DS's GCSE results in the 2 subjects were quite disparate as probably "lost" most of the 20 marks for SPAG in Eng Lang as dyslexic.