No language, History and Geography

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ourmaminhavana

No language, History and Geography

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Hi, I've read the other posts on this , but it's still a big dilemma. My dd used to be good at languages, studying Fr and Ger, but now is just doing French and doesn't like it. It's poorly taught and the pass mark was an abysmal 36% . She loves History and excells at it. She is also doing well at Geography, both of whom have results in high 70s/ low 80s. She's been doing Duo Lingo during lockdown, but I feel given that she doesn't enjoy French, is unlikely to have an inspiring teacher and not be well taught, may be she should do Geog? She can't decide. The deadline is Monday! Would she really be disadvantaged? Help!
ToadMum

Re: No language, History and Geography

Post by ToadMum »

If the school allows the dropping of MFL and taking both History and Geography, then why not? A poorly taught entry level qualification in a language isn't really going to be much practical use anyway. No UK university has a blanket requirement for a foreign language at GCSE and any job requiring skills in one will require them to a higher level anyway.

That being said, I would have been very disappointed had any of ours wanted to drop their MFL at the age of 14 (because I personally find languages fascinating), but fortunately, they didn't and their schools both did not allow this and taught languages well.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Both my dds did History and Geography at GCSE and loved the courses.

Then they both did History at A level and dd2 did both History and Geography, loved them both and is now doing History at University.

Both great subjects that are really worth doing.

90% of their year did GCSE History and it is the second most popular A level after Maths DG
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks both of you. I've tried replying numerous times, Toadmum, but keep receiving an error message, so will keep this short!