Year 10 GCSE 2021

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
helen0209

Re: Year 10 GCSE 2021

Post by helen0209 »

DS’s school are having years 10 and 12 back from 15th, but not for teaching. Each child can have a 20 minute slot with their form tutor 3 times between then and the end of term. This is to raise any concerns, have some face to face contact etc. The form tutor will then act as a conduit between the pupil and other teachers.

The live lessons have all but stopped because it was deemed unfair as some pupils didn’t have access to a computer / IPad etc. to be able to do them - DS just thought some were too lazy to be up to do them!!

I think he is finding some subjects easier to do at home than others. What I am finding frustrating is a lot of the work isn’t marked, so he doesn’t know how he’s doing - one for his tutor next week!

I am concerned that he will have to sit exams next year having missed so much - whole topics (Macbeth, Elizabethan England etc.) that in essence they have ‘self taught’. Appreciate that they can go over it in whenever they are back, but they will have the Y11 work to do then as well. Either a reduced curriculum or predicted grades needs to be put in place - or any other idea that takes into account what they have missed.

However, if he has to repeat a year in some form or other because he doesn’t do as well as expected then so be it. It will feel like the end of the world to a 16 year old, but in the whole scheme of his life it’s nothing.

Edited to add - they have been told they will have mocks the second week in Sep (assuming they are back) as they couldn’t do end of year ones.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Ds is back for a couple of days over a fortnight - one day of English and one day of Maths.
He knows quite a few people who are going in for 3 mornings a week or some even 3 days he thinks. They seem to have split the year into those who are coping well at home and those who need additional support - and bringing those in for more sessions.
He is coping ok at home. He is having very few live lessons but gets a lot of feedback from his teachers. I think French will be the subject in which he suffers most from missing out on proper school. That teacher is offering some live lessons so they get some practice at speaking.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

How's everyone's dc doing?
Ds had tests for the last couple of weeks which I think will be useful for him to see which areas he needs to work on.
He's trying to work out which A levels he wants to do at the moment.
Economics and Politics are certain but he can't decide on the 3rd.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

DD really struggled towards mid lockdown but looking at potential sixth forms and considering course options gave her a real boost. Recent ‘year 10’ tests went better than we had feared (given stress sorting SEN) with clear areas for targeted revision identified.
DD doesn’t seem to mind putting in the revision effort needed but is really resenting the prescriptive nature of the exams.

Although most fun has been cancelled DD’s theatre production is going ahead in modified form. I think so much effort has been committed to it this event will actually happen one way or another. So, yay!