Autumn exams - govt consultation

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: Autumn exams - govt consultation

Post by Tinkers »

I think a lot of schools have had year 11s focusing on A level prep etc, Rather than continuing work on gcses. I suspect most aren’t going to retake any gcsesin in November if they are ok with the grades they get in August, so for most it makes more sense to move on.

Those that are already considering retaking will be working towards that too and hopefully asking and receiving the help they need from teachers to do that. Those that decide that in August will hopefully get the help they need from them onwards. The retakes are in November so they should have a reasonable amount of time to get back up to speed. I doubt many will be retaking the whole set of gcses.

Nothing about any of this is normal and what works for some schools and some families really isn’t going to work for others.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Nothing about any of this is normal and what works for some schools and some families really isn’t going to work for others.
In a nutshell, Tinkers
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yoyo123 wrote:
In a nutshell, Tinkers

Totally - I think there will be few families where life has really continued as "normal"
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

hermanmunster wrote:
Guest55 wrote:What have parents done about chasing up work from schools?
In others where there are 1-2 keyworker parents, particularly those in emergency services / NHS, believe me - parental concentration has been elsewhere - more a case of "let's just get through this"
Key workers children had the option to be in school!
Hera

Post by Hera »

My year 11 was supposed to hand all books in March. My year 13 has had contact from one teacher since he left in March. The school have effectively stated that they have finished school. I think you don't have an understanding of how many schools operate. My year 8 is being emailed some work so there is still a connection there. I find it quite demoralising that the provision is so variable but I guess that is true generally about the school system.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hera wrote: I think you don't have an understanding of how many schools operate.
Are you sure I don't? I know quite a few schools and what they are doing ... state schools doing their students proud. Teachers working their socks off teaching online as well as supporting key workers children.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:
In others where there are 1-2 keyworker parents, particularly those in emergency services / NHS, believe me - parental concentration has been elsewhere - more a case of "let's just get through this"
Key workers children had the option to be in school!
With most DC not entitled to be in school, a lot of schools have only really been providing childcare, or at most, a chance to do the same stuff that was being provided for those at home. DS2's school made it clear from the outset that no extra teaching would be happening. It wouldn't really be fair, otherwise, unless one were to stretch the definition of 'vulnerable' to include 'parents trying to work from home using all available tech?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Hera

Post by Hera »

Are you sure I don't? I know quite a few schools and what they are doing ... state schools doing their students proud. Teachers working their socks off teaching online as well as supporting key workers children.
I said many not all, so I am sure that you know know quite a few schools providing resources for all years including year 11. I am saying that many, including outstanding schools are not and that I am concerned about my own children. That is all. I wasn't attacking you and am feeling fragile with it all so please be kind.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

There are so many variables here.
Keyworkers were able to send their children to school but many schools had very little on offer. Some of my colleagues have had very few hours a day even for their primary age children and have had to cobble together changes in working hours to manage this. As soon as more children went back a few weeks ago many primary schools stopped offering any key workers service and those children were allowed in for one or two days a week - complete nightmare for single parents or shiftworkers.
I am very happy with what happened during lockdown at my children's school but I know many teachers at other schools who, whilst they are working very hard, cannot offer anything like a fair accessible workload. At one school I know, 40% of year 10s haven't logged on to the school system since the day lockdown started. They've given the year 11s and 13s nothing at all because they figured that even fewer would get involved.
This is going to exacerbate the divide massively. It's simply not the case that everyone is getting the same experience unfortunately.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hera wrote: so please be kind.
Many teachers I know have been in school working without a break since March whilst not being able to see their own adult children as they are living elsewhere. I know teachers who've lost parents and not been able to go to the funeral - kindness works both ways.

Schools which invested in IT/pupil laptops have been proven to be wise.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now